Wood furnace soon to be outdoor cooker.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chrisy fishy

Feb 3, 2022
Nova Scotia
BB86673D-CCB4-42D9-B3BC-FE5188B95920.jpeg
Hi all I have this old wood furnace in my basement that I’m going to take outside and turn into a outdoor entertainment area type appliance I would like to know if anybody can give me any more information on it other than the obvious? Is there a manufacture date on it somewhere? 6F6A5647-D4B4-454A-83FA-F3107A2F937E.jpeg 2A741CD9-B046-4FA3-8A02-B644EF895E72.jpeg

That's an old coal furnace...real old...no idea on the build date

Hmm....well it certainly will burn wood...generally when they bring the air in the bottom like that its for coal...will burn wood too, and a lot of it. That will be much better suited to your intended purpose than it was heating the house (on wood)...don't get me wrong, I'm sure it heated the house fine, but those old furnaces were much more user friendly on coal than wood, just due to the volume they'd burn, especially on a real cold day.
Come back and post some pics of it in its new role when you're done!

Hmm....well it certainly will burn wood...generally when they bring the air in the bottom like that its for coal...will burn wood too, and a lot of it. That will be much better suited to your intended purpose than it was heating the house (on wood)...don't get me wrong, I'm sure it heated the house fine, but those old furnaces were much more user friendly on coal than wood, just due to the volume they'd burn, especially on a real cold day.
Come back and post some pics of it in its new role when you're done!
Will do, hopefully start the build in June (have to figure out how to get it out of the basement first🤔).
Thanks for your input, nice to know I can use it for both.

It looks like the air control damper on the bottom door is gone...unless its laying around...has to be some way of throttling the air...shouldn't be too hard to make something if need be...