Wood good for how long

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighHeat22

Sep 29, 2011
southern michigan
I need advice and knowledge about how long wood will last. I have all my wood split and ready for this year I split about year ago and it sat uncovered to dry and I brought into covered shed about 1 month ago. Now I have just split next years wood supply I cut this wood into lengths last year and was still green inside when split this past month. I will leave next years split wood supply outside uncovered to use next winter. Now I have found trees to cut to burn in 2 years I will cut but not split until next year. This is my 2nd year of burning wood my question is does this system sound okay? I have been told I do not want to get to far ahead because I risk the chance of rotted and moldy wood. All advice and experience is appreciated.

Look for the expiration date on the end of each split and use before then.

JK...

Wood stored outside will last a very long time if you keep it off the ground. Once seasoned and in a shed, it will last indefinitely. Getting it below 20%% MC as fast as possible is the best way to prevent mold.

Exactly. As long as the wood is try it will last nearly forever. literally.

When we had to replace an 8ft section of the sill in my house I threw the non rotten chunks in the stove and that 200 year old wood burned great. I read that the wooden chairs they found in Tut's tomb you can still sit on if they werent under glass.

no water = no rot.

I use pallets on all my wood stacks in shed or outside. I have built a shed just big enough for a season of burning. So anything outside after getting MC down should be covered to protect and extend life of wood. Thanks for advice.

Stored under cover or indoors it will keep darn near forever.

I'm sure he is talking about a stack that is outside... at least that is what I was hoping to read about.

If you will look around a bit you'll find a recent thread about Denniswood. The story on that is the wood was cut and split in December 2002. It was kept outdoors all of this time. The top of the wood stacks were covered after the first year. I still have a few pieces of that wood I'm hoarding. There was lots of experiments with this wood by Battenkiller. Tony (fire_man) is the unlucky lad who was asked to split this wood at the Woodstock Open House on October 8 this year. Let's just say Tony thought it was petrified wood because he had an awful time splitting it.

So was that 9 year old wood any good? Yes! Most of it got burned in the new Progress stove and also in a Fireview. So, I would not be too concerned about your wood going bad.

I would be interested in what kind of wood it is though because all wood does not dry at the same rate. For example, if you cut and split oak, you'd best have that split and stacked for 2-3 years before trying to burn it. Yet some other wood, like soft maple, can be ready to burn in 6 months.

Once it turns to ash, it's not much good anymore. You can use some of it - SPAREINGLY - to sweeten your vegetable plots, but, as Jessica Simpson says, a lil bit goes a long, long way!

I would get it split and stacked up off the ground now if you have the time.Oak will take 2 years but most will be ready in a year but will burn better if given 2 years split and stacked

Don't get into the habit of cutting one year and splitting it the next. Split as soon as possible after bucking it up to size. You'll be a year ahead if you do that.
As others have said, stack it off the ground and you're good for many years. I leave my split wood in stacks out side uncovered year 'round. I keep three or fours days worth on the front porch during burning season must in the off chance that it might actually rain in Texas.

The workers rebuilding the Parthenon said that when they took columns apart the intact wooden alignment pegs still smelled of cedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.