Wood Hauler - What are you using?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elcheapo wagon from Lowes

A pickup truck to get the wood from where I bucked it to my splitting area.

A wheelbarrow to get from where I split to where I make my stacks. Sometimes I'll use the truck here as well, depends on how much I've split ahead of time.

My arms to go from the stacks to the living room.

ATV with trailer (or occasionally a Kubota tractor) to get the wood out of the woods.

4Runner with a trailer to get the wood from the family homestead to my front yard.

ATV with trailer or a wheelbarrow to get the wood from my stacks to the woodshed.

Wheelbarrow or canvas wood tote to get the wood from my woodshed to the covered porch for my "week's worth of wood".

Canvas tote to get the wood from the porch to my woodbox.

---

Edited to show pics of my ATV/Snowmobile/Wood Trailer hooked up to the 4Runner . . . and my ATV and the woods trailers I use.

Attachments

• atv.jpg
    atv.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 441
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 318
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 321
  • trailers.jpg
    trailers.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 307
I was bringing the wood into the garage with a wheel barrow last year as I needed it. This year I had more to haul and a little S10 pickup worked perfect and saved a bunch of work.

0526101156.jpg

or
0612101239a.jpg

Around the house and
Washington2.jpg

On the road.

I have a ramp up to my deck, and a sliding door from the deck into the stove room. I bring the wheel barrow right into my living room! For some reason my wife has never figured out that this is something she could complain about. Really takes the labor out of it though.

Flatbed, I wanna see you move that wheelbarrow. I know mine would fold up like a lawn chair. Or my arms would dislocate.

mayhem said:
Flatbed, I wanna see you move that wheelbarrow. I know mine would fold up like a lawn chair. Or my arms would dislocate.
i bet he's right handed & the tire needs air

It is downhill from where I split to where I stack. I just run behind it! Unfortunately, its back up the hill to the front porch where I keep a week's worth stacked during the burn season. I don't stack it as high going up.

I can pull my truck right up to my wood piles and also right up to the basement windows where I throw it in. I can usually pull right up to my downed trees also.

here's ONE of my many ways to haul wood, taken tonight...

Attachments

• DSCN1627 (Small).jpg
    DSCN1627 (Small).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 489
That is just some junk wood I was hauling to the brush pile. When I load with firewood, cut at 16" I can get 3 rows and still stand some up in the back end. It seems to work pretty good and methinks I'll be liking the wide tires when there is mud to go through. For backing up it is good as the tongue is fairly long. The side racks remove easily if needed and it does tilt so loading a rototiller or something like that is easy.

Newtrailer-1.gif

My Avatar....works ok....just can't really throw the splits in

I have been using the harbor freight wood cart for years. It is freaking wonderful. Holds at least two days worth of wood and rolls on big bicycle sized tires so it is easy to pull through grass and up stairs. I use the tractor to take wood from the stack to a lean-to where I dump the splits in a pile good for a month. I resplit as needed in the lean-to and load directly into the HF cart. Roll the cart to the porch where I take wood by hand into the house for a couple of days before refilling the HF cart.

F150 w/ 6.5' bed from woods to home for splitting.

Hands and feet from spitting to stacking area.

4x8 trailer with cattle panels (1/3 - 1/2 cord) pulled by lawn mower to house. Will need to use quad when snow flies...ZTR is less than worthless in snow.

Drop wood into basement wood room through new handy access hole. See my "indoor wood storage" thread for details.

Rolling wood bin from wood room to stove-side. Bin holds about 2 days worth, give or take depending on weather.

Cub tractor and either the 5x10' utility trailer, or the 17 cu.ft. poly trailer. Depends how much I feel like doing that day.
Sometimes depends where I'm at, too. In the woods, I go to the small one.
Once it's in the woodshed, it's all manpower to the stove.

I have
a JD2520 with a FEL bucket.
a lawn tractor with a utility trailer
a wheelbarrow
a red Radio Flyer toy wagon ( these things come in quite handy when the kids outgrow them)
a canvas tote bag
2 arms

Here is my 6x10.

Attachments

• 6x10 land trailer.jpg
    6x10 land trailer.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 342
gzecc said:
Here is my 6x10.
Here is my back door wood storage trailer.

Attachments

• trailer cherry.jpg
    trailer cherry.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 290
Toyota Tundra w/ Dump trailer

IMG_0852.jpg

and Kubota for filling the wood rack on the front porch

IMG_0786.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.