wood haulin' trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
Anybody know how much a cord of dry oak weighs? How 'bout a cord of green oak?

I am looking at getting a better trailer for hauling wood out of the woods, among other things. Just curious how much wood 2990 lbs translates to in cords.

oak would be in the 3500lbs seasoned.

I've seen a 2 ton # for white oak.

smokinjay said:
oak would be in the 3500lbs seasoned.

Isn't it more than twice that green? Don't know for sure about the weight, but dumping a load of fresh oak is similar to dumping a load of highly organic material from my buddies former dairy farm. Hasn't bent my 5000 lb axle but I did find a bad weld in the frame.

Seems to me I saw somewhere a cord of green red oak weighs 4,600 lbs but I been wrong before.

LLigetfa said:
peterc38 said:
I guess it depends what chart you look at. This one states 4,888 .lbs for green Red Oak.

http://elkhorn.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1554/build/g1554.pdf
Did you find it with Google?

I rest my case.

What case? I didn't even know I was on trial. Yeah I found it with google, so what? My point was there are a lot of different charts and many of them list different weights. Who is to say which one is right, you?
The OP did not even specify what type of oak.

peterc38 said:
Who is to say which one is right, you?
The OP did not even specify what type of oak.
No, not me. I don't claim to have the right answer. Someone posting numbers on the internet doesn't make it true, even if Google finds it.

That is my point.

Hi -

My 1953 GM Truck order guide said 4-5,000 for Green hardwood.

I use a single axle that is very easy to overload or load in a dangerous fashion. The axle is to far forward in my estimation. This causes me to make more trips once in a while. Since I rarely haul more than a mile I just don't care.

If you are hauling far, or routinely hauling large loads of grean hardwood then I'd look at a tandem axxle. If not the single axle is much easier to move about.

ATB,
Mike

Thanks Mike,

Yes, I'm routinely hauling it 20 miles or so.

Tandem Axle? Hmmm. I don't think so. There are other uses that I will engage this trailer in - such as hauling bikes and camping gear. I just don't know if I want the hassles of a tandem axle under those conditions.

To the other's who seem to be intent on squabbling over wood weights. I think I got my information. It just doesn't seem that a 5x10 trailer rated to 2990 GVWR will be capable of hauling a full cord.

Wood is heavier than I thought. I've got a Dodge Dakota Club Cab (short box) plus a weenie little 4x6 trailer. I fill box the truck box & the trailer. I'm probably overweight with them then. Oncoming drivers flash their brights at me thinking that I've got mine on, when it's simply the tilt of the truck.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Thanks Mike,

Yes, I'm routinely hauling it 20 miles or so.

Tandem Axle? Hmmm. I don't think so. There are other uses that I will engage this trailer in - such as hauling bikes and camping gear. I just don't know if I want the hassles of a tandem axle under those conditions.

To the other's who seem to be intent on squabbling over wood weights. I think I got my information. It just doesn't seem that a 5x10 trailer rated to 2990 GVWR will be capable of hauling a full cord.

Wood is heavier than I thought. I've got a Dodge Dakota Club Cab (short box) plus a weenie little 4x6 trailer. I fill box the truck box & the trailer. I'm probably overweight with them then. Oncoming drivers flash their brights at me thinking that I've got mine on, when it's simply the tilt of the truck.

I am running a 4x8x3 with a s-10 I can get a cord of most woods on there but some of the heavier hardwoods about 3/4. Its a 1971 boat trailer converted.

OK, Next question.

Do you fellas have any recommendations on trailer brands?

There's a trailer "dealer" in my area that has Dominator brand trailers. They've got nice 2x8 treated wood floor and sides. He's asking $1660 for a 5x10.

Then there's Tractor Supply which has Carry On brand. TSC has a 5X10 with a wood bottom and just angle iron sides for $1050.

Both have the same 2990# GVWR.

Sometimes the extra $600 is worth it. Sometimes you just pay more for nothin'.

3000 lb sideds will need to be 24-36 in high. The tsc the wood will just fall out, so if the 1660.00 will hold the wood out of the gate then thats the way I would go.

Also, keep in mind that the 2990# GVWR includes the weight of the trailer so you have to subtract that to get the true "allowable" payload. You might want to compare unladen trailer weights too.

BJJ, look for a used trailer. It won't depreciate as much, and you won't have to worry about scratching it!

You could probably find a trailer built from an old pickup bed for next to nothing. I tried selling my old 1 on CL for $50 and nobody wanted it. I spent more than that on the title so I just kept the title and tongue where the VIN sticker is and scrapped the rest. And I know you can get a cord in a pickup bed and not overload it. ;-)

Hey BJJ...

I was in the same boat about 4 years ago looking for a trailer. I wanted the Bri-Mar dump, available locally, but that trailer already weighed 3000# and would have been a bit heavy when empty pulling it with my 4Runner, let alone when full. I went with the solid 5x8, sides go up about 18" and I extended the sides up to 3.5 feet.

I loaded that thing up with ash once on a 20 mile trek home and it was pushing it. Then I did it with oak and I know it was a bad idea, even from 1 mile away. I am now happy with hauling half to 2/3 cord of fresh wood in it, even though a tad over weight. I just watch how it sits as i load it and don't go overboard. I got the landscape gate so i could roll the big rounds right up and then throw the smaller stuff on top. Works out pretty well.

As for other uses, I use it for camping, loads of mulch, sand or whatever. Great little trailer for $1150 at the time. I am thinking about getting it Rhino lined.

Woolybuggar,

Thanks for the link. Boy, I got this woodstove so that I could save money on the heat bills. But it's turnin' out to be an even better blessing than I thought. It's the gift the keeps on giving. . . giving me excuses to buy more stuff.

K2Orion,

You can get a cord in a pickup bed w/o overloading it? I think the estimates on this thread are 3500# for a cord of seasoned oak, and over 4800# green. That 3500# translates to 1.75 ton, that's a serious pickup truck.

gzecc,

For whatever reason, used trailers hold their value around here. I've been watching the want-ads and it's slim pickins. The converted pick-up beds might not be a bad idea, except I was hopin' that a 5x10 or 6x10 could fit more wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.