Wood I.D. PLEASE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Man, this is THE HARDEST splitting rounds I have ever had!! Even 12" rounds that are maybe 14-15 inches long can take a shot from my 8lb. maul and laugh at it. Really tight and twisted. I THOUGHT I saw the leaves from a Bradford Pear on the lawn when I scrounged these from the tree guys, but I never imagined that a pear tree could be so hard to split. Very fragrent, too. Smells like a fresh salad. Is it a pear? If anybody will know, it'll be you guys. ;-P

Attachments

• pear1.jpg
    pear1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 533
  • pear 2.jpg
    pear 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 537
  • pear 3.jpg
    pear 3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 532
Looks like Pear to me-that is one nasty piece though! I love the stuff; dries pretty quickly, burns nicely. Have fun!

I have split quite a bit of Bradford pear and it looks and splits just like what you have. It well split easier if you give it a couple of months before trying to really split it. It dries fairly quick and you'll find it's really good heat. Super good wood to burn. David

I think it is pear. THe ones I have split seemed about average in toughness, but it is hard to find a clear round to judge by. Almost the whole tree is knots and crotches when they grow out in the open like most Bradford Pears.

Looks curley

EVERY piece is as hard to split as the next one! They are VERY fresh,though, so l'll wait a bit b/f trying to split again. P.S.- I live in the 'burbs, and Bradford Pears have been the curb tree of choice for about 15 years, here. They grow pretty fast. :cheese: Thanks,all.

I have about a cord of Bradford pear waiting to be split, I never split it before but agterseeing the thread I believe I will be borrowing my father in laws splitter for that session!

Looks like pear on the outside. Seems to be very similar to maple on the inside. Never had any pear before... have 2 of them in the back yard, but no intention of burning them unless they break!
Nice score!

When we lived in Maryland our entire neighborhood was dotted with them. Certainly looks like a BP based on your efforts to split. I had a maul back then and found that a chainsaw does a fine job of "splitting" a round in half. Burns hot when dry. I only had to deal with the rounds once and passed on several other chances due to the PIA factor. I vividly recall have little trouble splitting a cord of silver maple and putting off what was maybe a quarter cord of BP. We would take hundreds of pounds a year off ours, usually in the form of big limbs, and you would hardly notice. The neighbors that didn't regularly remove a lot of mass risked having half a tree in their lawn (or on a car!).

I split the large wood from about 6 or 8 Bradford Pears last fall and found it to be about average difficulty to split. Maybe I got lucky. There is more than one variety of 'Bradford Pear' so maybe that makes the difference. I found some of them had very orange wood, others had lighter, yellow wood like the one in this post. I didn't notice any difference in splitability between the two. They are very common on lawns and not very sturdy in the wind and snow, so I expect to be splitting more in the future. I did all of mine by hand with a Fiskars and an 8 lb maul. 6 or 8 Bradford Pears

Status
Not open for further replies.