Wood I.D. This wood is the same color as a carat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Wrench

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2009
On The Farm
No Pics.

Cut a small section out of a tree lying on a steep incline. No bark and in a bad spot so I just for no reason cut a 18" section out of it last year split and stacked with this years wood. Today put it into the insert. Started like oak, but throws out MORE heat...Lots more? The best way to describe it same color as a carrot? When the snow stops I'm fetching the rest of it. Any Ideas?

Stay Safe.

Hedge or also known as Osage Orange

Without seeing it I'd guess either Black Locust,Mulberry or Osage Orange (hedge) going by your description.With pics we could tell more.

I would bet hedge too.

I'll get pictures up when wife returns from work. This wood burns like a brick, keeps going and going. 4 hrs and stihl throwing off heat. I feal like posting an armed guard around that tree?! Google-ing hedge... Thanx For The Info.

Frank

The most orange woods in the east are Hedge and Mulberry. both are great firewood. hedge is supposed to be significantly higher in BTus than oak, Mulberry about the same as oak, so maybe you have hedge.

This wood was cut and split last year. Hedge and Mulberry both would be orange by now.

Adios Pantalones said:
Hedge is sometimes orange, but more often yellow-yellow when just split/cut. Black locust is a more sickly pale color.

Hedge is bright yellow when fresh cut/split but turns to a burnt orange color after a while.

Locust, from my experience is a pale greenish yellow color but after cut/split for a while it turns to a light burnt orange color (but not nearly as dark as hedge does).

From the sound of it you have some hedge. If you have another piece of it then cut it alittle; if it's bright yellow in the fresh cut it's hedge.

My pics don't do the orange color justice, but I had/have what may be the same thing as you do. can't tell you how mine burns because I wanted an ID before I destroy the evidence. I've burnt a couple of splits, but not a stove load yet. Carrot describes it well.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63398/

Danno77 said:
My pics don't do the orange color justice, but I had/have what may be the same thing as you do. can't tell you how mine burns because I wanted an ID before I destroy the evidence. I've burnt a couple of splits, but not a stove load yet. Carrot describes it well.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63398/

That looks more like a black locust to me ... but not positive...

Without seeing pics i would guess hedge or mulberry. I have never cut or Burnedt hedge but I have a good bit of mulberry and after it dries it turns like burnt orange and both are dense woods that throw a ton of heat.

Here is a picture of Cherry. And Red Pine I think is also red on the inside, but I'm not sure how it drys.

Attachments

• cherry.jpg
    cherry.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 211
Status
Not open for further replies.