Wood ID and I bet they needed a change of shorts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I passed this just outside Eminence State Forest a while ago and found it when looking through some pics.

What kind of tree was it?

IMG_1013.jpg

Mods, sorry for posting this out of the pic forum, but I thought a reminder of the dangers we could face was important.

Matt

From such a distance, it looks like a juvenile tulip poplar.

I agree with CTYank. I can't really tell with much certainty, but the dark, horizontal marks on the trunk and the straight, tall trunk make me think it is a Tulip Poplar.

Nice job of cutting. A beautiful notch they made..... Saws can be dangerous when in the wrong hands.

I also think that it looks like a tulip poplar.

man, that looks like the perfect height to have taken someones head off !!

scary!

Looking at that picture again, I can't figure why someone would have cut that particular tree.

seems most likely that it was just vandalism

if it was someone looking for firewood - why would you ever choose a tree that a gate is hooked to? and if you were going to steal wood from a state park/forest, etc., why would you choose a tulip poplar, and again attached to a gate. unless it was someone totally clueless about trees and tree felling and gave up after they almost killed themselves.

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice job of cutting. A beautiful notch they made..... Saws can be dangerous when in the wrong hands.

They can be dangerous in the right hands!

FLINT said:
if it was someone looking for firewood - why would you ever choose a tree that a gate is hooked to? and if you were going to steal wood from a state park/forest, etc., why would you choose a tulip poplar, and again attached to a gate. unless it was someone totally clueless about trees and tree felling and gave up after they almost killed themselves.

You can't fix stupid !!!

Looks like vandalism, and with an angle cut like that it doesn't look like they wanted the tree, but good job of getting it hung up. If they had stood anywhere but right next to the chain while they were cutting it would have landed on ground.

[/quote][/color]You can't fix stupid !!![/quote]

No matter how idiot-proof you make stuff, the world will ALWAYS develop a better grade of idiot...

I think it's difficult to ID the tree from that picture.

My first thought was red (swamp) maple.

I think I see some ash to the left, I'll vote small ash. Cheers!

Looks like they were cutting it so it would lay down to stop people from driving around the gate. People just have a thing about two tracks. If there is a gate just drive around, I can go ANY where I want. It's woods so nobody owns it right so that chain shouldn't be there. I had that trouble with snowmobilers and watched a couple stupid guys lifting it out of the water after going into the lake. I informed them that it was private land and they said they didn't know and just thought they could go anywhere as they wern't hurting anyone. I should have just pulled there keys threw them in the snow while they were pulling the sled out and left and called the cops.
leaddog

The more I look at it I am thinking that it is wind damage. It looks like a limb is gone on the upper part(right side if it was standing) And the stump does not look like a fresh cut as the tree looks like a double.

Gary

Gary_602z said:
The more I look at it I am thinking that it is wind damage. It looks like a limb is gone on the upper part(right side if it was standing) And the stump does not look like a fresh cut as the tree looks like a double.

Gary

I agree, looks like it split out about 20ft up, like there was a fork there

Poplar, yuck.

it does appear to be a fork, although someone was definatly cutting on it at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.