Wood ID.........from a scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
Just got some on a recent scrounge.....what is it? Its all the same wood too. The one picture makes it look darker.....there was some variation on woodtone, but not that extreme.

Attachments

• 2011-04-06 12.48.00.jpg
    2011-04-06 12.48.00.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 2011-04-06 12.48.35.jpg
    2011-04-06 12.48.35.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 2011-04-06 12.48.49.jpg
    2011-04-06 12.48.49.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 371
  • 2011-04-06 12.49.00.jpg
    2011-04-06 12.49.00.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 2011-04-06 12.50.21.jpg
    2011-04-06 12.50.21.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 358
First thought white oak!

The bark could pass for white oak....but the wood itself is maple like....definitely not oak.

dannynelson77 said:
The bark could pass for white oak....but the wood itself is maple like....definitely not oak.

If its not white oak, then we know what it is..lol

dannynelson77 said:
Hi Ho Silver?

lol yep. Thought you would know if it was silver, but the two look very close in pic's.

My inital thought was Silver.....but man its heavy! I guess Silver holds a lot of water? The weight is what threw me off. I never cut Silver but this stuff was free so. Was trying to compare this cut wood to the Silver Maple in my yard. Bark was slightly different so I thought I'd ask the experts here. :)

dannynelson77 said:
My inital thought was Silver.....but man its heavy! I guess Silver holds a lot of water? The weight is what threw me off. I never cut Silver but this stuff was free so. Was trying to compare this cut wood to the Silver Maple in my yard. Bark was slightly different so I thought I'd ask the experts here. :)

Yes silver does. Use it this fall its not bad firewood. Trunk will be really good!

Thanks now I know to throw it in with the Tulip Poplar I have to stack..... :)

dannynelson77 said:
Thanks now I know to throw it in with the Tulip Poplar I have to stack..... :)

Trunk is much better than Tulip imo. Heated two winters with 80 percent Silver.

I havent burned either so cant wait to do a comparison.....thanks.

smokinjay said:
dannynelson77 said:

Yes silver does. Use it this fall its not bad firewood. Trunk will be really good!

Yup great stuff for spring & fall.Normally splits (fairly) easily too.Dries very fast in summer sun.Only time not is seeing one of those huge spiral-barked monsters in someone's yard.Never turn it down when I get the chance to cut some.

definatly silver maple i burn lots of it. it must grow fast(?) being that it was planted along the road on a lot of street around here.

I think that is Red Maple, not Silver. The flakes in the bark are smaller in Red Maple than Silver. The wood is about the same I am told - I haven't burned Silver but have burned lots of Red.

You might be right as they are smaller on this wood than the Silver in my yard. And the silver in my yard is even a smaller tree than this.

dannynelson77 said:
You might be right as they are smaller on this wood than the Silver in my yard. And the silver in my yard is even a smaller tree than this.

Dont know what a red is but if thats red thats splitting the frog hair in 1/4s! lol

Wood Duck said:
I think that is Red Maple, not Silver. The flakes in the bark are smaller in Red Maple than Silver. The wood is about the same I am told - I haven't burned Silver but have burned lots of Red.

Yup. Bark doesn't look at all like silver maple or white oak to me. Wood looks very mapley. Red maple is closest, IMO.

Wood Duck said:

Mmmmm hmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.