Wood Id from a text message?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana

Attachments

• wood id.jpg
    wood id.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 330
  • wood id  2.jpg
    wood id 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 329
  • wood id 3.jpg
    wood id 3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 324
unknowingLEE said:
Pin oak.MayB

You know of anyone milling pin oak? This is 40+ tree.

Dunno, but I can guarantee the slab will have lots of small defects. EspecialLEE bird peck and very fine knots that aren't detectable as a catface etc.
Might make a good table slab if dried slow. It wood come apart in a kiln eye bet.

unknowingLEE said:
Dunno, but I can guarantee the slab will have lots of small defects. EspecialLEE bird peck and very fine knots that aren't detectable as a catface etc.
Might make a good table slab if dried slow. It wood come apart in a kiln eye bet.

yea just not sure about milling this one. Defects are ok but not being able to finess the drying process and the grain your going to get may be alot of work little return.

unknowingLEE said:
How many feet of butt without a limb?
Yard tree or woods tree?
If yard was it in the wide open or protected from wind by houses and or other trees?

Edge of a woods tree about 8 foot by 44 inchs

looks like pin oak jay i heard the Amish like to work with it

ohio woodburner said:
looks like pin oak jay i heard the Amish like to work with it

Its hard to find any pic's of the grain... Here its very wide like in pine?

it burns great jay been burning it the past month. 2 1/2 years seasoned. So your gonna need a buffer.

MMaul said:
it burns great jay been burning it the past month. 2 1/2 years seasoned. So your gonna need a buffer.

Yea you always cut frist and ask question second...lol

If someone had mentioned they want the log whole, they should have spoke up, if its down I am gonna cut it. LOL. By the way my scrench no longer looks like an "S". Thanks J

MMaul said:
If someone had mentioned they want the log whole, they should have spoke up, if its down I am gonna cut it. LOL. By the way my scrench no longer looks like an "S". Thanks J

I was really thinking you would not be jumping on that with the 360's but I did get 3 very nice ones! Probally a couple more out there.

I wanted to test the 036 on large log and that one was down.

MMaul said:
I wanted to test the 036 on large log and that one was down.

lol, That is a nice saw I still have it.

Tell him you charge $120.00 and hour and it took 2 hours to fix. Or you'll just take the saw. :)

MMaul said:
Tell him you charge $120.00 and hour and it took 2 hours to fix. Or you'll just take the saw. :)

lol I cant do that, But maybe a 2500.00 slab table..Oh the loading that big log all we needed to do is take the trailer off the truck tilt it and then winch it. (wtf was we thinking) Wow...

I actually thought of that but, I dont know why I didnt suggest it. Didn know if we could tilt your trailer and not hurt it.

MMaul said:
I actually thought of that but, I dont know why I didnt suggest it. Didn know if we could tilt your trailer and not hurt it.

Same here and have thought of it before just never had one that would not go up the ramps...Its a big one.

Jay, for sure it is red oak but not sure if it is just red oak or pin oak. That size tree should be a no brainer to tell which it is. Pin oaks will have lots and lots and lots of branches. They also have a tendency to have lots of small branches pointing down with many of them dead.

For lumber, it is okay but better for firewood. If red oak, then it all depends on the growth as to the value of it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, for sure it is red oak but not sure if it is just red oak or pin oak. That size tree should be a no brainer to tell which it is. Pin oaks will have lots and lots and lots of branches. They also have a tendency to have lots of small branches pointing down with many of them dead.

For lumber, it is okay but better for firewood. If red oak, then it all depends on the growth as to the value of it.

This one does not have a lot of branchs but has the smooth bark like a pin.

Probably a red oak then for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Probably a red oak then for sure.

With smooth bark?

Status
Not open for further replies.