Wood ID help/scrounge pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselhead

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2011
NE
You guys are good at it so take a whack at this. Got a full truckload today and I didnt even put a dent in the pile of whats available:

firewood001.jpg

firewood002.jpg

firewood004.jpg

firewood005.jpg

Thats a step ahead of red oak on the BTU chart should be good burning no?

good to hear, will be hitting the pile hard the next few days thank you fellas!

White oak and hard maple run together on most btu charts I have seen but then white oak is better than red oak so yes you are correct about hard maple being one step up on red oak according to most charts I have seen if not all of them. Right at first I thought maybe beech and that is up there too. In the mean time you need to make a dent in that pile you refferenced. Like...think of your stove man... pig out.

8' bed, heaped high! the 2500 was sagging a bit. Nice weather the next few days I expect to get about 5 more loads easy. This will be for 12-13 season :0) oink oink!

I love sugar maple. Burns good & hot. Very common down here in my part of northern Ky.
Wouldn't turn down red oak either. Right now I'm burning some small pieces of black locust
& mulberry. Saving the maple when it really gets cold. Although the little pieces I've got
Burning right now are putting out some good heat! Thermostat is reading 74 degrees.

exact same temp on the thermo here beagler! 40 outside running a red oak/hickory blend. Started off with poplar for shoulder season. good for getting the house warm, but about half the burn time and triple the ash of the better hardwoods.

I've got an old Buck stove (insert). It is from the early 80's. Been a good little work horse for
The 9 years that I've had it. I would like to get something more efficient in the future.
One thing about sugar maple is that it can be tough to split when it's green. Looks like
You have nice straight pieces. That's a big plus!

get all you can, I've got seasoned silver norway and sugar maple, ash, red oak and cherry. The sugar is my favorite hottest longest lasting wood I have,. Well except for some honeylocust that isn't ready yet, I don't know if that will beat out the sugar though.

scotvl said:
get all you can

Im working on it, one truckload at a time. Will get a shot of the scrounge area later today

1118110829.jpg

round 2 today, also a pic of the scrounge area. Should keep me busy for a few days!!

downsized_1118111227.jpg

downsized_1118111117.jpg

agreed man, its about 45 min from home, but im working 2 miles from the scrounge site for another 4 or 5 days. May bring the 18' landscape trailer down there for one final scrounge after making 4 or 5 more pickup loads. Nice thing is its manageable, nice 12" rounds, and drive right up access. Cant beat this one!!

You will be warm next winter! It all looks straight too. Should be good splitting if you're doing it by hand. If you have
A splitter, who cares! Lol

I havent manned up and bought one yet I just borrow my friends 27 ton.

Dieselhead said:
agreed man, its about 45 min from home, but im working 2 miles from the scrounge site for another 4 or 5 days. May bring the 18' landscape trailer down there for one final scrounge after making 4 or 5 more pickup loads. Nice thing is its manageable, nice 12" rounds, and drive right up access. Cant beat this one!!
How close is that "Scrounge area" to Bethel Ct ;-)

Dieselhead said:

45min? That's nothing! That's my morning commute. Take the trailer with you each time you go and get that load home!

Oh yeah... You Suck! ;)

BB its by 95 and 7. Im purposely leaving the trailer home so I dont spend all day at the pile, need to get some work done lol

Dieselhead said:
BB its by 95 and 7. Im purposely leaving the trailer home so I dont spend all day at the pile, need to get some work done lol
hmmmmm....not all that far for me....probably the same...45 minutes down Rt.7....I'm right off of I84 exit 8 in Ct.

Dieselhead said:
need to get some work done lol

When a score like that comes along, everything else can wait.

Dieselhead,

A lot of those logs in that pile look small enough to put up on your shoulder and carry. Sometimes when I do not have the time, or the truck is to far away, I place the logs up on my shoulder and load them in the truck in log form. Then take the load home like that. I was just thinking out loud. You could get more of that pile home, then buck it up anytime you want at your liesure. Either way, great score, have fun and be safe. Later.

SolarAndWood said:
Dieselhead said:
need to get some work done lol

When a score like that comes along, everything else can wait.
nice thing is no rush, piles will be there all winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.