wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elijah

Oct 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
A friend of mine has these rounds and has split lots of it already, all with the Fiskars. I'm fairly positive they are poplar or cottonwood, but just wanted to make sure. What do you think?

Attachments

• clarence.jpg
    clarence.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 264
  • clarence2.jpg
    clarence2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 280
Yup Cottonwood

Shall we make it four?

Backwoods Savage said:
Shall we make it four?

I think "Double Yup" are bad luck! lol Not sure what a four-pole will bring. (maybe like a clover)

Now that we know this is Cottonwood, what is the best way to make this last in the wood stove. He asked me this. I wasn't sure what to tell him on how to get as long a burn as possible with it as I use it for starting fires mostly. I'd imagine it's just like any other wood, as big a split as possible to fit in the stove and make sure it is seasoned. Does that sound right to you guys?

elijah said:
Now that we know this is Cottonwood, what is the best way to make this last in the wood stove. He asked me this. I wasn't sure what to tell him on how to get as long a burn as possible with it as I use it for starting fires mostly. I'd imagine it's just like any other wood, as big a split as possible to fit in the stove and make sure it is seasoned. Does that sound right to you guys?

POOOOOOF! Will be seasoned for sure next fall!

You will find that cottonwood does season rapidly, as Jay stated. You will also find that it will burn hot and fast. It will not give the good coaling like the harder woods. For sure it can make good kindling wood but also is good to mix in with other woods at any time. For example, even in the cold weather, if the coals are way down when you reload, put a piece of cottonwood in on the bottom and then the harder woods on top. This will hasten the burning. Or, use it in spring and fall for quick hot fires.

Maybe fire_man will chime in here as he has burned a bit of cottonwood and likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.