wood id .. I am 99 % sure but ...Update !!! Split pick on page 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
As stated I am 99% sure, mostly because of heart wood but....

Extremely tight grain and... when splitting by hand the wood just laughs at me unless I really lay into it, and even then it chuckles.

Now don't you laugh and you tell me what it is...

Attachments

• hmmmm.jpg
    hmmmm.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 465
  • hmmm1.jpg
    hmmm1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 447
  • hmmm2.jpg
    hmmm2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 432
ok shawney I'll stick my toe in. I'm guessing walnut or hickory. the thing that holds me back a little is when I've had both of those they were pretty easy to split. can you post a pic of the split and/or leaf?

+1 for shag bark hickory. But if you split it and smell it ....easy to tell then.

jimosufan said:
+1 for shag bark hickory. But if you split it and smell it ....easy to tell then.

Shag is a white wood.....Could be PIGGGGGGGGGGGNUT!

chinkapin_oak said:
Thar be Walnut.

Ever so slight chance it could be persimmon, but I'm saying walnut.

+1

Persimmon is yellow wood. Walnut.

lukem said:
chinkapin_oak said:
Thar be Walnut.

+1

Your from Indiana and a sap layer like that tight grain. Walnut is not a tight grain wood....Wrong bark for walnut! Oh if thats Walnut I am walking away does not burn well and that sap layer....well I would pass!

Natural edge on both pieces!

Attachments

• guitar blank.jpg
    guitar blank.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 368
  • walnut 2.jpg
    walnut 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 345
Sorry Jay, but I have to disagree. Seen a lot of sapwood on walnut before. Any tree that doesn't have room to grow is going to have a tight grain. Bark looks a little funky for walnut, but way funky for pignut. I still say walnut.

The smell will give it away, but I'm having a hard time smelling it from here.

lukem said:
Sorry Jay, but I have to disagree. Seen a lot of sapwood on walnut before. Any tree that doesn't have room to grow is going to have a tight grain. Bark looks a little funky for walnut, but way funky for pignut. I still say walnut.

The smell will give it away, but I'm having a hard time smelling it from here.

Lol, I know if he is happy and thats walnut life just drop pretty heavy. Fresh splitt pignut can look just like that. Butternut (white walnut) would be the only other thing I can think of and would not jump to high on it either,,,,,lol Those two boards are yard tree to.

Black Walnut

:lol: *needs to adjust his bifocals*

Thistle said:
:lol: *needs to adjust his bifocals*

lol I would kill if I show up thinking its a payday! :cheese:

Wow myabe my 99% was wrong ??? I was thinking Black Walnut. No leaves (tree done since late winter). It is extremely tight and twisted grain. Not stringy but tough to split. Here I thought I knew it, now you all got me wondering.

Shawn

lukem said:
Bark looks...way funky for pignut
Ix-nay on the ignut-pay! :)

shawneyboy said:
Wow myabe my 99% was wrong ??? I was thinking Black Walnut. No leaves (tree done since late winter). It is extremely tight and twisted grain. Not stringy but tough to split. Here I thought I knew it, now you all got me wondering.

Shawn

Are there any shades of purple in the heartwood?

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
chinkapin_oak said:
Thar be Walnut.

+1

Your from Indiana and a sap layer like that tight grain. Walnut is not a tight grain wood....Wrong bark for walnut! Oh if thats Walnut I am walking away does not burn well and that sap layer....well I would pass!

Jay,

Remember this one? I do...

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/73129/

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
chinkapin_oak said:
Thar be Walnut.

+1

Jay,

Remember this one? I do...

Yes I do now! :lol: I remeber ow dissappointing opening that up. When first seeing this one I went through all my walnut pic's Nothing over a inch of sapwood.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/73129/

lukem said:
shawneyboy said:

Shawn

Are there any shades of purple in the heartwood?

Tough to tell but yes shades of purple at edges of heart wood.

Attachments

• hmmmpurp.jpg
    hmmmpurp.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 266
Still sticking with walnut

lukem said:
Still sticking with walnut

To white to fight and to thin to win! lol Butternut! :cheese: Just because thats a bad example of black walnut! (if it is)

Here is example of black walnut sideway view. This is a yard bird and has more sap wood than a woods tree.

That looks coco brown and very white sapwood. I am about 50-50 on Id's so keep that in mind! :lol:

Attachments

• walnut 1.jpg
    walnut 1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 237
SmokinJay, You have to Copy and paste that whole line in the address line.

Status
Not open for further replies.