Wood ID - I struck it rich!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck74

My neighbor gave me permission to remove this tree. It fell in a windstorm last year. Bad Boy is about 4 feet wide at the base/rootball. It took out about 4 other trees with it. Massive!!!!

What is it. Based on the leaves I have narrowed it down to red or white oak, but I'm too new to tell from the bark. can ya'll tell what it is from this pic?

Attachments

• IMAG0304.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 935
And Here's another shot.

Attachments

• IMAG0305sm.jpg
    IMAG0305sm.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 966
Red Oaks have pointed leaf tips.
White Oaks have rounded leaf tips.

Be gareful when cutting a blow-down pile. Wierd things happen.

Bark looks like White...

As you may know, if it's White Oak, you're looking at 2 years' seasoning at least.
I have a lot of Red Oak to be got, and fortunately enough White Ash available to carry us until the Red is dry.

I see some dead leaves in the pic that look like some kind of red oak, but if it is oak the bark looks more like something from the white oak family. Although I wouldn't be surprised if that tree isn't oak. I can't tell for sure what it is

Looks like White Oak. Reds around here grow wider and branch out more than Whites, which really stay vertical. Leaf in pic is definely Oak, if it from that tree. Make a cut a find out. If it's White, you best have a splitter. Stringy, and dense, but worth all efforts.

fatwoodfirestarters said:
bark does look like white oak. If it is a oak it is white oak. It could be a soft maple
+1

You dont get a lot of silver in woods.....White oak!

Another vote for white oak........ once you get a few rounds cut you'll be able to tell by the weight.

Buck74 said:
My neighbor gave me permission to remove this tree. It fell in a windstorm last year. Bad Boy is about 4 feet wide at the base/rootball. It took out about 4 other trees with it. Massive!!!!

What is it. Based on the leaves I have narrowed it down to red or white oak, but I'm too new to tell from the bark. can ya'll tell what it is from this pic?
Thats funny, from your "neighbor gave me permission" I read, my neighbor gave me a persimmon. Than I read further and saw it was oak.

Those leaves are some variety of red oak. The bark on the log looks like White Oak to me, but down in Lafayette County, MS there are probably a few species of oak that we yankees aren't familiar with. Maybe it is a Swamp Chestnut Oak, which in Louisiana we used to call Cow Oak.

With a blowdown like that, the leaves on the pile could be from a different tree than the big log. The leaves could easily be from a tree that didn't come down. It looks like a lot of wood whatever species it turns out to be. I'd start by cutting limbs that you can easily reach. Pick away at the edges of the pile as long as possible, then tackle the large trunk. You have to figure out how to cut the large log into sections you can move without getting your saw pinched. logs like that are likely to pinch a saw if you simply try to cut through from the top. if you can cut above whatever is supporting the big log (perhaps it is resting on another log?) then you can avoid pinching.

Anyone that uses hydraulics to split Oak is a feline!! :lol: :lol:

Unless you use a milk crate :)

I think that main big tree in the pics is a white oak.

I do see some red oak leaves (looks like black oak) but those could be from anywhere.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Anyone that uses hydraulics to split Oak is a feline!! :lol: :lol:

Unless you use a milk crate :)

Classic!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know what it is but if it were me I wouldn't really care because it looks like a hell of a score. How difficult is it going to be to get to and get out?

Well, it aint Cottonwood, so to me that means a score.

Can't tell, but what a great opportunity.

Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna start at the top tomorrow....working my way down. Drawback it that it is down in a hollow. I will have to haul it out a little at a time with the 4 wheeler. Only a few hundred yards from the house, though. Should be fun!!!

I'll guess white or possibly burr oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.