Wood ID - Is it worth going after?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

525fury

Jan 13, 2011
Smyrna, TN
Here is a free pile of wood, that I found on Craigslist. The owner sent me these pics.
It is about an hour drive.
Can anyone tell me what type of wood it is?
Is it worth driving an hour for?
Located in Middle Tennessee.

Thanks!

Attachments

• wood11.jpg
    wood11.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 597
  • wood22.jpg
    wood22.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 616
  • wood33.jpg
    wood33.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 610
  • wood44.jpg
    wood44.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 664
Hard to say what type of wood. It looks like that may be from a couple of different trees. The half-round split on the right side in the last pic looks stringy...Elm? The wood looks to be in pretty good shape, and could be pretty dry, but there may be a few rotters that are in contact with the ground...

Woody Stover said:
Hard to say what type of wood. It looks like that may be from a couple of different trees. The half-round split on the right side in the last pic looks stringy...Elm? The wood looks to be in pretty good shape, and could be pretty dry, but there may be a few rotters that are in contact with the ground...

+1...without knowing exactly what type of wood you would be getting - and its condition...... an hour away is an awful long trip. Also - unless youre going with a HUGE truck and could bring back the whole load in one shot - I dont think it would be worth it.

Some closer pictures would help with the ID.

would have to be some really good wood to drive 2 hours (one on the way, one coming back). Id pass, but I also have been very lucky at getting wood locally (knock on wood)

I've gone through piles like that. If it has only been sitting a year, then only some pieces on the bottom might be bad; however, bottom pieces are often useable if they are a good wood like ash. Personally, I like to wait until it gets colder when the bees/yellow jackets are gone and the snakes are hibernating (or are at least slower) before I touch one of those piles. As others have stated, an hour might be a little far for a potential disappointment.

I've been burned before by travelling to pick up free wood that couldn't be burned.
I'm more selective now. I'll go help a friend cut down trees for the the wood, but I wouldn't travel an hour each way to get that pile in the picture.

Not sure of the ID but I would go get it. Looks like its all split so no work there. I'd just make sure i got it all in one load though.

If I had to guess I would say Green Ash because of the bark and the stringyness.

It's FREE wood, one of the best kinds.
If you can drive up to it (and get out with a full load) you might be able to do some profitable cherry-picking, assuming that you don't have to take it all. Depending on space available, even the so-so stuff is useful in shoulder season. The wet stuff down below will disproportionally weigh your truck down- plan on leaving it to dry further. Don't get busted for being overweight.
If you have to walk it any distance, I'd pass.

it looks like pretty good wood..i think i see some ash in there but it could be elm or poplar.
i agree with the opinions expressed so far.
if it were closer, i'd take the whole pile and
BURN IT.
any wet stuff on the bottom i would stack and let it dry out and
BURN IT.

however...
at one hour away, doing some quick calc'ing i'm estimating a 100 mile round trip, at 10 miles/gal (if you're lucky...less in a big loaded truck) gas around $3.50 - 4/gal, plus vehicle stress (you'd want to load 'er up), plus your time and labor.....

i'd pass on it. but i live next door to a logging yard. if i were paying for firewood, it might be worth my while.

OT

From the looks of the vine on top, it doesn't look like it's been around too much more than a year. 12-16 months maybe? If I really needed wood to burn this season this might be a good shot. If not, an hour drive would be too much for me. More than enough wood can always be found closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.