Wood ID... Out and About, Quick Responses please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaFC

Mar 22, 2011
Northern, NJ
Hey everyone,

I am out and about as I have been lucky enough to get a source of a lot of wood.

I need to know what these two types are, so I know if I should bother with it. In the meantime, I'm going to go unload my truck of the OAK i picked up and will check this before going out again.

This one has a thick bark that feels and seems a bit spongy. The bark is not heavy at all and it has a grayish/yellow tint to the wood. It splits easy.

DSC_0558.jpg

This one has a dark bark, almost black and the inside is YELLOW. Seems a bit stringy, but still split easy.

DSC_0557.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Any leaves from lower pic? Bark in that pic doesn't look like locust unless the splits shown are from branch wood, even then...

Black locust grab it!

The yellow splits might be mulberry since the bark doesn't look to thick. Either way, great score and get it while it lasts. BTW, where in NJ is it? ;)

Without a doubt ---- black locust ----mmmmmm , my favorite.

top one to me looks like sassafrass I'm bad at ID's though bark sure looks like it

Is that top pic black locust or sassaphras I have alot of that here and am not sure myself

Top looks like sassafras, does it smell like root beer? Makes good kindling, dries fast.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have a ton of wood that now needs to be split.

Where in NJ you ask?

East Orange. There was still plenty of these types of wood plus oak.

Definitely Locust!! Great stuff for the coldest weather! Welcome to the forum Chelsea!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.