Wood Id Please? Better Picture.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsr4538

Jul 13, 2007
Any Ideas? I am cutting downed trees and all of the bark is falling off. Leaves are not visible yet.

Here is the picture I have.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Newton 1.jpg
    Newton 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Newton 2.jpg
    Newton 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 382
White pine? Is it a needle bearing, or broadleaf tree? Cheers!

Edit - my white pine guess was based on the first set of VERY different pictures!! :cheese:

maple?

What does it look like 2 years later?

Clearly black locust, from bark and end grain.

CTYank said:
Clearly black locust, from bark and end grain.

yep, definitely black locust!

+2 vote for BL. Thats great burning stuff.

Wasnt somebody just asking if BL grows in NH?

Yep, thats black locust pine! Hope you got a lot! BL is great stuff. Split it now and stack it. It will be ready for this coming heating season. I keep some huge for overnighters. Get in the habit of mixing it in when you want longer hotter heat.

I didn't have a clue from the first set of pictures, but the new ones clearly show Black locust.

justLEE said:
Sassafrass

+1 looks a little like bl but the color isnt there for bl!

No doubt---- Black Locust. The wood will be that colr if if its dead awhile. Plus, I dont think the color in the pic (camera) is exactly vibrant. Black locust for sure....great stuff.

wood-fan-atic said:
No doubt---- Black Locust. The wood will be that colr if if its dead awhile. Plus, I dont think the color in the pic (camera) is exactly vibrant. Black locust for sure....great stuff.

Fresh split should be yellow!

Black Locust!

I have some at the house to compare too.
0328111628a.jpg

Flatbedford said:
Black Locust!

I have some at the house to compare too.
0328111628a.jpg

Split one open?

Here's bunch of 'em split open. Don't have a picture of just one.
DSC06411.jpg

Flatbedford said:
Here's bunch of 'em split open. Don't have a picture of just one.
DSC06411.jpg

Op's looks almost like a red tint, that has a yellow tint.

The color does change over time. Might be a combination of time and lousy cell phone camera. The bark and grain are right on for BL.

Flatbedford said:
The color does change over time. Might be a combination of time and lousy cell phone camera. The bark and grain are right on for BL.

Yes They are.....lol

Thanks for the replies. As far as the color, when I look at it, it looks like the wood that is posted in Flatbed Fords Pictures.

Thanks for the help! I am excited as I have 10+ trees to process. They have been down for several seasons and seem to split dry right now. Wooooo Hooooo for me.

Now for the work. I bought a cheap trailer to double my hauling capacity.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.