wood id please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
I am told locust but one says honey one says black
More pics to follow these later

Attachments

• IMAG0462.jpg
    IMAG0462.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 289
  • IMAG0463.jpg
    IMAG0463.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 298
Some. More

Attachments

• IMAG0464.jpg
    IMAG0464.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 274
  • IMAG0466.jpg
    IMAG0466.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 252
Last one
More later when the other load comes in

Attachments

• IMAG0465-1-1.jpg
    IMAG0465-1-1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 288
Could be both. Black locust is kinda yellow through the whole log. Thats what the last pic looks like. the first one look like honey.

Looks like elm to me...

The wood is very yellow some of those have started to dry... I thought it was honey cause it was so yellow ... The wood guy says it had little thorns on it

iceman said:
The wood is very yellow some of those have started to dry... I thought it was honey cause it was so yellow ... The wood guy says it had little thorns on it

YEA Black locust! That is fresh split bl

Attachments

• id 2.jpg
    id 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 236
  • id.jpg
    id.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 236
Wood grain isn't black locust...

I don't think the bark is Honey locust but need a better bark shot to be sure....

Photo requests: Undamaged/unmolested bark and end-grain shots please

CountryBoy19 said:
Wood grain isn't black locust...

I don't think the bark is Honey locust but need a better bark shot to be sure....

Photo requests: Undamaged/unmolested bark and end-grain shots please

Attachments

• IMAG0469.jpg
    IMAG0469.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAG0467.jpg
    IMAG0467.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAG0468.jpg
    IMAG0468.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMAG0470.jpg
    IMAG0470.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 211
OK...I'm changing mine to black locust now that I can see some more mature bark...deep furrows are a dead giveaway.

lukem said:
OK...I'm changing mine to black locust now that I can see some more mature bark...deep furrows are a dead giveaway.

Thought you would come around! lol ;-P

Yes! Got about 1.5 cords of it ... Rare over here compared to whit/red oak
And another 2cords coming but at 125 each csd

iceman said:

125.00 not bad for bl season fast and Wow a perfect wood!

smokinjay said:
iceman said:

125.00 not bad for bl season fast and Wow a perfect wood!

I know lol used to scrounging splitting myself.. lol with all the free red/white oak around... But I couldn't pass the thought of having locust! And its still cheaper than buying green oak

Here is the second load ... Still b locust? Or honey different city different tree lol

Attachments

• IMAG0475.jpg
    IMAG0475.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0473.jpg
    IMAG0473.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0472.jpg
    IMAG0472.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMAG0471.jpg
    IMAG0471.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 183
iceman said:
Here is the second load ... Still b locust? Or honey different city different tree lol

Sure looks like bl but my moniter not the best....Is it still yellow looking?

smokinjay said:
iceman said:

Yes still yellow but the wood was split sitting in the sun for a couple days so its yellow to light yellow

iceman said:
smokinjay said:
iceman said:

Yes still yellow but the wood was split sitting in the sun for a couple days so its yellow to light yellow

There hooking you up! Looks like bl, but if its not anything yellow is top notch! (Pretty darn sure its more bl) GOOD FOR YOU! :coolgrin: Be nice to tip the boys a little Thats a Great Price................ :cheese:

Few more pics higher quality

Attachments

• IMAG0478.jpg
    IMAG0478.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 163
And another

Attachments

• IMAG0477-1.jpg
    IMAG0477-1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 127
Worst thing is I have no place to put it..... Gotta get creative! But I have been DYING. To burn locust or hedge like some of these guys! Now gonna stack it by itself and use sparingly!

iceman said:
Worst thing is I have no place to put it..... Gotta get creative! But I have been DYING. To burn locust or hedge like some of these guys! Now gonna stack it by itself and use sparingly!

I like bl better because is is easier to make a cord.....It is a Winter equalizer for sure! That with some milling ends and you have a real shoot at tramming Mother nature in a big storm!

Status
Not open for further replies.