wood id please (with new pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack22

Mar 10, 2011
Warren County, New Jersey
Bark on this is real chunky and pieces are seasoned and real hard to resplit by hand. I have no idea what it is but I am getting 8-10 hour burns with it it my Keystone. Any more ideas?

Attachments

• 100_0980.jpg
    100_0980.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 100_0981.jpg
    100_0981.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 100_0982.jpg
    100_0982.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 100_0983.jpg
    100_0983.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 272
Thanks for that link. The bark on that gum tree looks a lot like what I have. I have also heard the gum is hard to split like what I have.

I just did a search on this site for gum trees and all of them seem real stringy. Non of the splits I have are stringy so I am thinking it might not be gum. The splits I have are seasoned at 17% moisture content. The dry splits are real brittle and hard. When I try to re split them a small piece just breaks off and I have a hard time splitting them down the middle. Every piece I have of this stuff seems a little crook-id. None have straight grains.

Black Gum is not very closely related to Sweet Gum (not, for example, the way oaks are related - Black Gum and Sweet Gum just happen to have similar names), d I don't see much information about Black Gum. Sweet Gum definitely has a reputation for stringiness, but I am not sure the same is true of Black Gum.

I agree the bark looks similar to Black Gum, but I am not sure that is what you have. Apparently the pics show wood from the base of the tree where the bark is the most rugged on the tree, and several types of tree can have rugged, thick bark like the bark in your pictures.

Wood Duck said:
Black Gum is not very closely related to Sweet Gum (not, for example, the way oaks are related - Black Gum and Sweet Gum just happen to have similar names), d I don't see much information about Black Gum. Sweet Gum definitely has a reputation for stringiness, but I am not sure the same is true of Black Gum.

I agree the bark looks similar to Black Gum, but I am not sure that is what you have. Apparently the pics show wood from the base of the tree where the bark is the most rugged on the tree, and several types of tree can have rugged, thick bark like the bark in your pictures.

The guy a bought it from told me it was ash but I did not believe him. I have never seen ash that looked like that but then again I never paid close attention to the base of an ash tree. I just found this http://ashborerinfo.com/ash_tree_bark.html so maybe it could be mature ash.

No way that's ash, could be black gum, also could be chestnut oak

Any way it could be maple? That curly grain looks like tiger almost. I know other woods do that too but it puts me in mind of maple.

ETA apparently some guitars etc are made of "curly gum"

Could be curly black maple.

Stand that puppy up, lets look at the ends. Lots of bark pics. . . bears SOME resemblencr to chestnut oak, but from what I can see, it is NOT. I've never seen Gum so I can't opine on that.

Well that ain't no Black Gum This stuff here is B G I gave up on splitting it and cut it into real short pieces even 8" rounds 7" long burn up fast, but it has it's purpose.

Attachments

• SDC10279.jpg
    SDC10279.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 254
  • SDC10278.jpg
    SDC10278.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 255
I think it "could" be ash. I have some white ash that looks just like that. It was a HUGE tree(5 cord total) with a lot of different stresses(big heavy tree in the open wind) which caused it to be a twisted mess. The bark didn't have the typical diamond shape pattern that I see on most "normal" sized ash trees. It was right up there with the worst splitting wood I've ever had to deal with.

That's what she said.

Now looking at those new pics, I can definitely see ash being a possibility, i know unsaid it wasn't ash earlie but the other pics u had looked much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.