Wood Id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I cut up this fallen tree in my yard yesterday and it was the most unusual wood I've seen. When first split, the inside
color varies from white, redish to brown in the center. splitting was tough even w/a gas splitter....very stringy. After sitting in the sun
the wood inside turned more consistent in color (whitish/brown).
I don't remember what the leaves look like, but the tree had a white fluffy hanging growth. almost like cotton.

Thanks!

Attachments

• work pictures 002.jpg
    work pictures 002.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 488
  • work pictures 003.jpg
    work pictures 003.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 506
  • work pictures 004.jpg
    work pictures 004.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 480
Looks a lot like poplar but that whouldn't be hard to split.

sure looks like cottonwood to me. Did the fluffy stuff blow all over off the tree that was like cotton. If so then cottonwood.

Yup- I think that's Cottonwood, Populus deltoides. I usually use the bark to ID cottonwood. There is a big difference between deeply rutted bark on the larger sections, and the smooth, often lighter color bark on the smaller wood. You can see the difference clearly in pic #2. Here's some more information on cottonwood http://www.cirrusimage.com/tree_cottonwood.htm

Josh

no doubt, cottonwood...it will burn hot and FAST

same here cottonwood

Thanks! That makes sense since the white stuff looked like cotton. I didn't think cottonwood would be that knarly to split being a softwood. It also smells like manure after splitting.

bsa0021 said:
Thanks! That makes sense since the white stuff looked like cotton. I didn't think cottonwood would be that knarly to split being a softwood. It also smells like manure after splitting.
Thats cottonwood smells like crap

I have split long dead standing cottonwood out where I get wood from and the stuff that has been standing a for a long time with no bark on it is absolutely terribly tough to split with a log splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.