Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
I was wondering if you guys could try to ID this wood for me. Thanks

Attachments

• Image045.jpg
    Image045.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 395
  • Image046.jpg
    Image046.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 379
  • Image047.jpg
    Image047.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 359
Spruce

Thanks for the fast reply. How's spruce for insert burning?

antichusettes said:
HEM lock ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
We don't have Hemlock here. We have Balsam Fir. Terrible stuff. Burns like firecrackers. Branches are stiff and a PITA to limb. The bark has sap blisters. It stinks. I won't go near the stuff.

gregbesia said:
Good for kin'lin and starter pieces. Also good to mix with hardwood.

conifer! lol

gregbesia said:
Burn pine and you'll grow hair on your palms and your teeth will fall out.
Don't do it man...and if some french lady named Vanessa stops by glairing at your chimney and asking to see your poplar just bolt the door.
j/k
Make sure it is real dry. One full year or so after split.

Thank You all for your opinions. As far as hair on palms, and fallen teeth , it is already too late. I think it was Czarnobyl.

gregbesia said:
I was wondering if you guys could try to ID this wood for me. Thanks

Any pictures of needles or leaves . . . I'm better at IDing trees by doing a leaf ID. You can tell a spruce from a hemlock pretty easily . . . most spruce needles in this area are "pointed" and the needles tend to grow all the way around the branch tip. Hemlock, on the other hand, is notably smaller in length than spruce, the needles are more blunted and the needles tend to be flat on the branch tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.