Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
Im guessing Maple? It doesnt look like the other maple I have though.

Thanks

Attachments

• treeid.jpg
    treeid.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 475
I think I agree that it is Sugar Maple. The barks looks OK for Sugar maple, and the white wood does too. I have seen red streaking like that in the wood of Norway Maples, but I haven't cut many Sugar maples so I don't know if they can have it too.

BucksCoBernie said:

Thanks

You'll be glad that this doesn't look like your other maple, sugar maple coals a hell of alot better than Red Maple/Silver Maple.

WB

WOODBUTCHER said:
BucksCoBernie said:

Thanks

You'll be glad that this doesn't look like your other maple, sugar maple coals a hell of alot better than Red Maple/Silver Maple.

WB

Thats good news. im burning some silver maple now. I tried an over night burn with it a few nights ago and woke up to a box full of ash...i was so mad i had to bust out the matches and newspapers. for now on its mulberry at night, maple and cherry during the day.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

BucksCoBernie said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
BucksCoBernie said:

Thanks

WB

Thats good news. im burning some silver maple now. I tried an over night burn with it a few nights ago and woke up to a box full of ash...i was so mad i had to bust out the matches and newspapers. for now on its mulberry at night, maple and cherry during the day.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

I'm tapping into Shagbark Hickory, Black Birch and White Oak on cold nights.

WB

never had any sugar maple but looks similar to the box elder maybe because BE is in the maple family.

I have burned alot of silver maple and I just mix in some ash, elm, oak, whatever harder woods depending on the temp so it will last all night. The only time I go to 0 silver maple or BE in the mix is whens it's below 0 F but then again I consider over night 7 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.