Wood Id Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyronut

Apr 5, 2011
El paso, TX
Can someone please help me ID this tree. All pictures are the same tree.

Attachments

• Tree id 4-13.jpg
    Tree id 4-13.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 334
  • Tree id 4-13-2.jpg
    Tree id 4-13-2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 321
  • Tree id 4-13-3.jpg
    Tree id 4-13-3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 339
Looks like cottonwood but not 100 percent sure.

That might be a good guess Jay.

I was going to say cottonwood also... bark def. looks cottonwood-like.

I don't know what it is, but there are a bunch of tree species in the southwest that aren't found elsewhere. Lots of southwestern trees seem to have thick bark, maybe to protect them from fire.

It doesn't look much like Cottonwood to me, but I would expect Cottonwoods in El Paso to look a little different than Cottonwoods here in PA.

Tiny growth rings leads me away from cottonwood. But as said above, your environment could be playing with the "normal" characteristics that I would be used to. To me it has a maple flavor.

Geeez... I've looked at this pic more than a few times ..... I'll guess some type of walnut...just a guess though...Growth rings are awful tight for cottonwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.