wood id please ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diodeduster

Dec 24, 2008
warminster pa
can someone please tell me what i have scored today in princeton nj. thank you ed

Attachments

• wood score 048.jpg
    wood score 048.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 536
  • wood score 049.jpg
    wood score 049.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 537
  • wood score 052.jpg
    wood score 052.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 517
  • wood score 047.jpg
    wood score 047.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 518
  • wood score 050.jpg
    wood score 050.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 522
  • wood score 051.jpg
    wood score 051.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 532
Id say it looks like some yummy white ash.

I'm thinking Sassafrass; does it have a unique "sweet" kind of aroma to it? But the leaves don't look like Sassy; are you sure the leaves went with the wood?

PA. Woodsman said:
I'm thinking Sassafrass; does it have a unique "sweet" kind of aroma to it? But the leaves don't look like Sassy; are you sure the leaves went with the wood?

+1. Odd to have so many non-lobed leaves, but with the green twigs, bark, etc., I think it's sassafras. Thought I saw an out of focus tri-lobed leaf in the first pic, right hand side, but hard to tell. As suggested above, peel the epidermis off of the young growth, should have that pleasant sass smell. Cheers!

From looking at heartwood/sapwood, seems to be (2) different species, with white ash being one of them.

diodeduster said:
yes the leaves came from the wood thank you

I don't see any white ash - leaves are simple. Cheers!

No Ash there.Sass!

Yeah, I see thick, furrowed bark with an orange color in the bark nearest the wood, plus wood of an unusual shade of heartwood; overall it looks like Sassafras to me. I agree with NH Wood that it is odd to see only simple, oval leaves and no mitten-shaped ones. Maybe the twigs shown are from the lower part of the tree or younger branches which tend to have the oval leaves instead of mitten-shaped ones.

Sassafras is light weight wood, should dry quickly, and smells great.

Regretfully not ash - leaves are not opposite - a dead giveaway for ash. Not sure about sass - never seen or cut it.

In my own defense.....I dont think we have much sassafras here on Overpopulation Isle. :red:

Sassafrass.....the stuff they make root beer from

Me likes!

Prosecond said:
I'll wager sourwood.

I don't think sourwood had the green twigs likes sassafras, but not sure. To the OP - sourwood leaf margins are entire near the base and become serrated as move toward the leaf tip - an easy check to determine it is, or is not, sourwood. Still screams sassafras to me - would be interested in hearing how the leaf check turns out. Cheers!

Here's some sass for comparison purposes op

Attachments

• rps20110831_195421.jpg
    rps20110831_195421.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 270
  • rps20110831_195456.jpg
    rps20110831_195456.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 291
diodeduster said:
Bocefus78 said:
Here's some sass for comparison purposes op

my wood and bark does not look like yours and the wood does not smell sweet.

Well I don't know now...maybe we are all learning about Sourwood here which is a good thing!

Prosecond said:
I'll wager sourwood.
Looks like sourwood to me as well

Never heard of sourwood, But I would venture that, that is what you have.

Actually sourwood can be found in new jersey, although it would not be a common wild species. It is a fairly common ornamental species though.

Status
Not open for further replies.