Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

new_wood

May 9, 2011
Lebanon, Ohio
Any thoughts as to what type of wood I have here? I live in Southwest Ohio. I guess I really never paid attention to the different types of bark on the different trees until I started burning. Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

• id 1.jpg
    id 1.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 137
  • id 2.jpg
    id 2.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 144
My guess would be black locust, but wrong more times than right.

Reactions: ScotO
BL. You'll never forget it. Thick bark with deep ridges and deep/yellowish wood. Enjoy!

Ah yes the infamous BL. Unfortunately for you in the midwest it takes two years to season.

ID is easy on that, with those great pics...:cool:
Find some dead stuff, standing or lying on the ground, with no bark, and you might be able to burn it this Winter...

Awesome....thanks for all the help with the ID. Never had any BL before so looking forward to enjoying it next winter or the one after.

Interesting to see how fast that Black Locust grew when it was small, and how slowly it grew toward the end of its life.

looking forward to enjoying it next winter or the one after.
The bark appears to be loosening and the wood is starting to crack apart so if you get it split and stacked now, it should be good in a year.

I agree with blujacket, split/stacked black locust should be ready to burn after one year. BL is one of the fastest drying woods- I have cut some standing dead locusts (that had been dead for some time, with the bark already falling off) that were ready to burn in about six months.

Reactions: Nixon and ScotO
Great stuff ! Seasons quickly , splits pretty well , throws a lot of heat for a long time , hell on chains .

Status
Not open for further replies.