wood id plz TIA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlove1974

Dec 8, 2010
Piedmont of NC
Hmm, thought this was cherry until I split it. I would say birch maybe but the park isn't "PEELY"

Any quick ideas?

Attachments

• P1240068.jpg
    P1240068.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 365
  • P1240069.jpg
    P1240069.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 375
  • P1240070.jpg
    P1240070.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 364
well, a pic of the end would be nice to see growth rings, but me thinks your too far south for balsam so me thinks mountain ash. just a gut feel.Could still be a birch type.

Black Birch, absolutely. I have tons of it on my property and burn lots of it. Lots of heat.

jlove1974 said:
good call. I just did a google image search and it certainly looks like black birch cut in the fall
The clincher is the root beer smell.

Sorry to be late to the party . But It is definitely sweet birch ! (black birch ) Absolutely great stuff to burn !!!!! Smells like peppermint when cut,and split .

Does this wood smell like wintergreen? I don't think it looks like Black Birch. Similar, but not quite right. Mountain Ash is a good guess.

doesn't really have a smell, at least nothing strong like say cedar. Where this wood was cut was a backyard along w/ willow oaks near a creek and a fenceline.
I haven't really seen alot of birch that wasn't peeling (river birch) and that's why I thought it was japanese cherry. Oh well if it's black birch it'll burn hotter than cherry.

jlove,

if you are in the piedmont of NC, then your wood is definitely NOT black birch. black birch is a north east and appalachian mountain tree.

and you are right, the only birch you should have around there is river birch, and the wood you pictured is definitely not that.

I honestly don't know what that tree would be in your area. Bark looks like either birch or cherry, and we've eliminated birch and the wood doesn't look right to be cherry.

If a fresh scratch doesn't give off a minty smell then it isn't black birch, looks alot like mountain ash as was mentioned. Are you familiar with the tree before you cut it? Did it produce berries?

didn't cut it, it was a scrounge piece mixed in with a ton of oak rounds and a ton of limbs and oak leaves. This was just a trunk piece. It was the only piece so the tree must not have been very big and may have been an ornamental. I'm now thinking it was/is a japanese cherry tree. Their wood isn't dark/red and they are commonly planted as ornamentals around here.

I would bet on service berry. It should have a small berry on it in the summer. Usually the main trunk will get kindof thicker more dense bark after it get to a fair size tree say 8 inches on up. I have never burned any of it but it should be in t he middle of the road somewhere maybe just ahead of poplar or something like that.

I had a very similiar looking wood to this a year ago and also wondered what it was; it had that yellow stripe down the center of it, had diamond-shaped markings on the bark and was very heavy even in small pieces. I never did find out what I was but I can tell you that it wasn't Black Birch-could be one of those ornamental trees as someone else mentioned. It burned very well though...

Status
Not open for further replies.