Wood ID? White oak or Silver Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosully76

Nov 28, 2010
Rockland New York
Happy New year to all.
I am a newby when it comes to burning and collecting wood.
Was hoping if someone can ID this wood.
Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• IMG00442-20111223-1545 wood.jpg
    IMG00442-20111223-1545 wood.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 758
That's going to burn good in 2 years....seeing as how it is white oak.

Thanks Blaze King. I got about 2.5 cords of this and it is all nearly split and stacked. Was hoping to use it next year but
I will try to hold out untill the following year.

lukem said:
That's going to burn good in 2 years....seeing as how it is white oak.

+1

bosully76 said:
Thanks Blaze King. I got about 2.5 cords of this and it is all nearly split and stacked. Was hoping to use it next year but
I will try to hold out untill the following year.

Nice.
We need pictures of the split & stacked w-oak of course.

White Oak, hands down. that is premium firewood and congrats on a great score.

Great score. That will be some good wood in a couple of years.

They do look a lot a like....Growth rings should give it away as white oak.

A tree guy in the area dropped off 6 logs 12' length, 18'' diameter. He said it was white oak.
I had another guy help me buck the rounds to length and he thought it was silver maple. I thought it was white oak also I just wanted to make sure.
Been spending a couple hours per day for the last 2 weeks splitting with a maul and stacking.
Great workout!

Yes indeed, it makes for a good workout to split that wh.oak with the maul. But it is soooo worth it. Nice score there - 2.5 cords is what I would call a BIG prize.

bosully76 said:
A tree guy in the area dropped off 6 logs 12' length, 18'' diameter. He said it was white oak.
I had another guy help me buck the rounds to length and he thought it was silver maple. I thought it was white oak also I just wanted to make sure.
Been spending a couple hours per day for the last 2 weeks splitting with a maul and stacking.
Great workout!

Should have been pretty easy to tell when bucking those up that they were white oak and not silver maple. Oak is much harder and heavier.

Yes, much heavier. Should you not want it I'd bet there would be lots of takers for that wood. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.