Wood ID with leaves and bark!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Hello everyone.

This is not the norm for me to be cutting something that still has leaves and bark. It is a blow down and has small limbs about every foot which is making it real fun. Elm maybe? I cut a lot of elm but it has no bark or leaves and has been down a while. It was surrounded by blown down ash trees which i have been cutting my way through.

Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

• 2011-08-26_09-48-40_610.jpg
    2011-08-26_09-48-40_610.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 2011-08-26_09-49-11_312.jpg
    2011-08-26_09-49-11_312.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 355
Definitely not elm - elm have simple leaves with large teeth on the leaf margin. Looks to be an ash of some kind - looks opposite with compound leaves. The stalk for the individual leaflets looks very short - wonder if you have black ash in your area? Cheers!

Agree with NH Wood . . . not elm . . . looks more like an ash.

Check out Zaps post, I believe we have another case of Black Ash here!

Definitely not ash like we have here. Definitely not elm.

I was pretty sure it wasnt elm but everything else i cut turns out to be elm LOL. I didnt get to cut any of it today but i will next friday and ill get some more pics. Gonna get it anyway so that i can get the white ash under it.

I don't think it is Ash, looks like Black Walnut to me. I have a few small Black walnut that I planted on my propert and leaves are the exact same as that, also look at the leaves and bark in link below.

http://www.nemahaweb.com/blackwalnuts/trees.htm

Backwoods Savage said:
Definitely not ash like we have here.
Range shows Black all over MI, but I don't know if it's as common as White...

Thanks for the vindication! Bark is not like any black walnut i have seen. Yes, white and green ash are what is most commonly seen by most folks. Most people could not identify a Black Ash if they where standing next to one. Black ash lumber is often stained and used as a substitute for walnut. Black ash is most common in the western UP and Wisconsin, but as you can see from a previous post does have a wide range.

Woody Stover said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Definitely not ash like we have here.
Range shows Black all over MI, but I don't know if it's as common as White...

For sure not as common. As nford stated, you'll find it more in NW MI and WI. Perhaps some in the western LP too. I've never seen any around these parts nor heard of it and I used to work in the woods too.

Status
Not open for further replies.