wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
Had this tree standing dead on my property. The wood has a reddish color to it. It seemed fairly dry after I split it and the splits seem lighter than oak. It was dead and winter so no leaves for ID.

Attachments

• DSC_0630.jpg
    DSC_0630.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC_0631.jpg
    DSC_0631.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 354
Sand some down and apply some oil or poly. Its too hard without a good bark shot. Nice dry wood though. Looks like its ready to go in the stove.

There are 2 chunks in your pic which give it away. (circled in red)
I've posted one of my ID samples for Black Cherry.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• DSC_0630_2.jpg
    DSC_0630_2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 313
  • bcherry.jpg
    bcherry.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 303
Great. Thanks for your detective work. I have been going through wood quicker than planned this year (teens in NC is not normal) so I was happy to find this today. It should work nicely w/ my cords of locust.

zanp said:
Great. Thanks for your detective work. I have been going through wood quicker than planned this year (teens in NC is not normal) so I was happy to find this today. It should work nicely w/ my cords of locust.
I just looked at the weather map for the nation, its almost all blue.........Florida, those citrus crops are gonna take a beating.

WB

zanp said:

If you can't keep warm with your locust, the Cherry is gonna' REALLY disappoint ya'z :-S

I guess it could be cherry, but our cherry would long be rotten before all the bark fell of and it looked so dry.

Thinking it is cherry too... Burns nicely and gives decent heat plus smells nice when burning too.. I would grab that wood without hesitation and yes standing dead can be fully seasoned as I have seen here too although some here will dispute this...

Ray

It is Black Cherry, based on the wood color and the few pieces with bark. There are lots of standing dead cherries around here, and I think a lot of them still have solid wood, not all rotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.