Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
Number 1. Split easy and was moderate in weight.

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

Number 2. Split very hard as you can see the axe just stuck in it. very stringy and moderate in weight.
IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

#1 White Ash
#2 guessing at an Elm, but the bark is throwing me off.

No1 looks like red oak to me,especially the split piece standing on end. No2 is definitely some kind of elm,. Just look at how hard it is to split. That'll give you hemorrhoids if you're trying to split it by hand. David

mainstation said:
#1 White Ash
#2 guessing at an Elm, but the bark is throwing me off.

+1

1-Ash
2-Elm

# 1 looks more like Burr oak / way darker than the ash I have seen.

# 2 splits like elm but different coloring than most of the elm I have seen.

Captain Hornet said:
No1 looks like red oak to me,especially the split piece standing on end. No2 is definitely some kind of elm,. Just look at how hard it is to split. That'll give you hemorrhoids if you're trying to split it by hand. David

i spent about an hour splitting 4 pieces of the elm by hand than i gave up. I purchased a splitter yesterday and it sure gave it a work out splitting it. I have split a lot or red oak and it sure did not split like it. It also did not smell like your typical red oak.

I don't know what it is but every tree that i have taken down from this property has had a darker than normal center. Anyone have an idea what might cause this? The soil in the area is predominantly red shale do you think that would have anything to do with it? It is also very rocky and most of it is a swamp by the time the frost thaws.

Ok, I agree with everyone about the first being Ash

However, on the second one, I'm going to propose Black Gum as a possibility - the bark on your logs doesnt look like elm to me - the elms that i've seen have a more vertically furrowed bark, than chunky like yours. Black Gum can have 'chunky' bark. Also, Black Gum splits like that as well.

I do better at IDing trees with leaves rather than bark . . . but best guess.

1) Yes. Furrowed bark, very white inner wood. I would guess white ash.

2) I don't know what species this is . . . not white elm though . . . bark is nothing like elm. At first glance I thought it was spruce . . . but the inner wood doesn't look right . . . this looks like no wood I've ever cut.

Captain Hornet said:

Im with you on #1, no WAAAYYY is that Ash.......i think....

number 2 also has a strange smell to it. Don't know how to describe it but it is not pleasant at all.

Archer39 said:
number 2 also has a strange smell to it. Don't know how to describe it but it is not pleasant at all.

yeah man, I hear you. number 2 usually doesn't smell pleasant at our house as well. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.