Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jleyland

Apr 25, 2009
eastern pa
Anyone know what this is? It was standing dead for awhile about 50' tall. Finally cut it down yesterday. Hope it's something good. Thanks a lot. (the little rounds in the first pic were from a different tree - ash I believe.)

Attachments

• woodid1.jpg
    woodid1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 312
  • woodid2.jpg
    woodid2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 319
Pure guess on my part . . . looks like maple of some sort.

That was also my first guess based on the looks of the bark.

Hi Ho Silver!

I think it looks like Red Maple. I don't see a lot of Silver Maple, and in general Red is more common in PA, although we certainly have lots of Silver, mostly along rivers or near water.

Maple was the first thing I thought of as well.

I second that emotion!......since I've been splitting it for several days now. ;-)

I don't think we can tell red vs. silver maple from those pics. not a ton of difference either way though

Status
Not open for further replies.