Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exmasonite

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2010
Novi, MI
Hey guys... first time trying this. Have spent the better part of the morning looking at websites and links to try to ID these trees but figured i'd leave it up to the pros.

First tree- had this sucker dropped last fall after buying the house. Standing dead and stump was about 3' from my well head so paid to have somebody with insurance drop that one in case it took a weird bounce. Interesting is that one tree service said it was oak while another said it was maple. I am thinking it's a maple also. No buds or leaves on this one, unfortunately.

2011-03-30_18-30-44_397.jpg

2011-03-30_18-30-52_949.jpg

Second tree: This one i just dropped so it had some red buds. I'm fairly sure it's a maple. First pick is at base of tree, next one is about a thigh sized thick piece about 20-25' in air.

2011-03-30_18-32-17_614.jpg

2011-03-30_18-33-15_124.jpg

2011-03-30_18-33-59_342.jpg

Thanks!

Exmasonite said:
Hey guys... first time trying this. Have spent the better part of the morning looking at websites and links to try to ID these trees but figured i'd leave it up to the pros.

First tree- had this sucker dropped last fall after buying the house. Standing dead and stump was about 3' from my well head so paid to have somebody with insurance drop that one in case it took a weird bounce. Interesting is that one tree service said it was oak while another said it was maple. I am thinking it's a maple also. No buds or leaves on this one, unfortunately.

2011-03-30_18-30-44_397.jpg

2011-03-30_18-30-52_949.jpg

Second tree: This one i just dropped so it had some red buds. I'm fairly sure it's a maple. First pick is at base of tree, next one is about a thigh sized thick piece about 20-25' in air.

2011-03-30_18-32-17_614.jpg

2011-03-30_18-33-15_124.jpg

2011-03-30_18-33-59_342.jpg

Thanks!

Hi Ho Silver!

wow... that was fast, jay!

Thanks... forgot to mention that sap wasn't sweet either on the 2nd one. Silver Maple it is, then.

Jay's got it Soft Maple for sure

I agree it is maple, but I don't see anything that makes me sure it is Silver versus Red Maple. Could even be Sugar Maple in my opinion. Around here I don't see the buds on most of the Sugar Maples swelling as much as the buds on the Red Maples, so your last picture resembles the Red Maples more than the Sugar Maples. Silver Maple isn't as common here as Red and Sugar, so I tend not to see Silver Maple when I look at pictures like yours.

Wood Duck said:
I agree it is maple, but I don't see anything that makes me sure it is Silver versus Red Maple. Could even be Sugar Maple in my opinion. Around here I don't see the buds on most of the Sugar Maples swelling as much as the buds on the Red Maples, so your last picture resembles the Red Maples more than the Sugar Maples. Silver Maple isn't as common here as Red and Sugar, so I tend not to see Silver Maple when I look at pictures like yours.

Two kinds of soft maple and there less of the silver......Sorry Man glad I do not live out east! :)

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess all i can add is that on the 2nd tree (the fresh fell) the sap wasn't sweet (but it was plentiful!) and i took another picture of the base. there is some red pigment at the strap/outer part of the wood. Not sure if that clears anything up at all. Not sure how well it came out in the pics...

2011-03-30_18-32-27_287.jpg

Exmasonite said:
Thanks for the info guys.

I guess all i can add is that on the 2nd tree (the fresh fell) the sap wasn't sweet (but it was plentiful!) and i took another picture of the base. there is some red pigment at the strap/outer part of the wood. Not sure if that clears anything up at all. Not sure how well it came out in the pics...

2011-03-30_18-32-27_287.jpg

Box elder

Box elder? Really?

For the record, that last pic is the same as the "2nd tree" in the first post with the red sprouts.

So, i'm confused? What have i got?

You have wormy soft maple. about the only differance betwwen silver and red maple is the leaves. In the hardwood lumber industry, an industry I grew up in and still work in they are both classed as soft maple. NO Way is this Hard Maple. In the hardwood industry red maple is more highly regarded of the soft maples, silver has more mineral and poorer color than red. Your soft maple is wormy, as you split it you will notice worm holes in the black streaks in the wood.

Exmasonite said:
Box elder? Really?

For the record, that last pic is the same as the "2nd tree" in the first post with the red sprouts.

So, i'm confused? What have i got?

Its soft maple. Red is a good sign of box elder. If it is when split it will have streaks throug it. Non-the less its soft maple!

Status
Not open for further replies.