Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clutch25

Feb 3, 2009
ND
I have come across this wood a couple of times....not sure what it is....anyone? The pics don't show it but it is pretty red on the interior.

Attachments

• 8-8-11 031 (Large) (Small).jpg
    8-8-11 031 (Large) (Small).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 381
  • 8-8-11 032 (Large) (Small).jpg
    8-8-11 032 (Large) (Small).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 370
  • 8-8-11 033 (Large) (Small).jpg
    8-8-11 033 (Large) (Small).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 371
  • 8-8-11 034 (Large) (Small).jpg
    8-8-11 034 (Large) (Small).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 390
White oak or Pignut hickory...I Need to see a close up of the bark.

I know it isn't oak....and not sure we have any hickory in this area.... Sorry but there wasn't much bark on it....got it from a brush drop off site just down the road.

clutch25 said:
I know it isn't oak....and not sure we have any hickory in this area.... Sorry but there wasn't much bark on it....got it from a brush drop off site just down the road.

To far out of my area then.... :lol:

Ya....sorry. West Central MN...

From what I can see, interior grain appears maple like

C'mon Jay, haven't you seen box elder before?

That first gnarly piece and the red streaks in the center are two signs in favor of box elder, the grain doesn't look it to me though. Did the trees tend to have a lot of smooth green suckers everywhere and grow real gnarly too?

I'm guessing firewood in ND is mostly either cottonwood or box elder?

Elm?? Is that a type of Elder?

benjamin said:
C'mon Jay, haven't you seen box elder before?

That first gnarly piece and the red streaks in the center are two signs in favor of box elder, the grain doesn't look it to me though. Did the trees tend to have a lot of smooth green suckers everywhere and grow real gnarly too?

I'm guessing firewood in ND is mostly either cottonwood or box elder?

Its not box elder.... :cheese:

Sorry....not boxelder! Passed up on a bunch of that laying there too. This doesn't smell like it and doesn't have the streaks of bright color like boxelder, the color is pretty much all the way through the wood. This is in MN, about 40 miles from ND, but ya in ND there isn't much for trees. For home use I have been lucky enough to find a couple of Ash shelterbelts that are coming down.

Here is some classic boxelder...

Attachments

• 4-5-10 068 (Medium).jpg
    4-5-10 068 (Medium).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 339
Id have to say it appears to be a maple -- perhaps a sugar maple, or even a Norway.

I'll guess maple by the look of the inside of the split piece.

clutch25 said:
Sorry....not boxelder! Passed up on a bunch of that laying there too. This doesn't smell like it and doesn't have the streaks of bright color like boxelder, the color is pretty much all the way through the wood. This is in MN, about 40 miles from ND, but ya in ND there isn't much for trees. For home use I have been lucky enough to find a couple of Ash shelterbelts that are coming down.

Here is some classic boxelder...

Think your wood needs a bandaid :)

Ray

My initial thought was some kind of maple. Thats the best I can do with that picture. Show us a close up of an interior fresh split.

I don't have an opinion what it is, but If I was hand splittin those crotches it would be firepit wood or go for a ride out back and become ant food.

Tom

Don't know what all you grow out that way but it does look like hard maple especially the lateral lines near the aging lines. Shouldn't smeell too bad when burning. If it was elm it would not be a pleasent odor but not real bad either but elm is real stringy as a rule and some elm is in the go-fer-wood catagory.

I'm thinking maple....after seeing some pics of one milled up on here.

It isn't elm as I have run across that before and would have never gotten through it by hand. I've only come across this wood once or twice before. The area were it came from is primarily oak, poplar and ash.

Ya, that big knotty piece in the truck bed went into the firepit the next night, I got all the other stuff split pretty easily.

Looks like silver maple to me; at least the inside does. Not a great shot of the bark though. Silver maple bark flakes vertically and is fairly unique.

Splits easy and dries quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.