Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
Just trying to figure these out. I think some Red Oak and then I'm not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 300
I think its cottonwood.

I think jay is right.

It all looks like oak to me. I wish I could zoom in on the pictures, but the internet isn't allowing me to do that right now, so for now, I say oak.

does a maul just bounce off of it?

Looks like cottonwood from here too.

mecreature said:

Haven't had time to even take a swing at it yet. I'll take one swing tomorrow and update you.

brianbeech said:
mecreature said:

Haven't had time to even take a swing at it yet. I'll take one swing tomorrow and update you.

may not be the way to tell but the cottonwood I busted up you had to hit the edge or it would just bounce half the time. especially big rounds.

but what do I know.

wood spliter said:
I'm not sure about the wood but I think I see some Poison Ivy

Great! That's all I need - a season ending case of Poison Ivy. I guess 'free' wood is worth it. :)

I would agree w cottonwood, especially with that rot in some of the pieces.... Cottonwood that I've messed round with that big is usually rotting. But the thick bark, furrowed, consistent colored meat and small heartwood says cotton.

brianbeech said:
wood spliter said:
I'm not sure about the wood but I think I see some Poison Ivy

Great! That's all I need - a season ending case of Poison Ivy. I guess 'free' wood is worth it. :)

Leaves of three, let them be.

Status
Not open for further replies.