Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulF

Nov 19, 2005
I have some logs someone gave me (central North Carolina) that I do not know their tree name. I do not have any leaves to help. The trunk was about 2 feet in diameter and the bark is furrowed deeply - thickness over 1 inch. The wood splits easily and is a light color. Splits are heavier than poplar, but far lighter than oak.

Can you identify it from the attached photos?

PaulF

Attachments

• TreeID1.jpg
    TreeID1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 528
  • TreeID2.jpg
    TreeID2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 512
Cotton.

Not sure if cotton grows around here, but Tulip does. Thats my bet.

Remmy122 said:
Not sure if cotton grows around here, but Tulip does. Thats my bet.

Bark is way to deep for tulip. (Its our state tree lol)

Tulip poplar also easily identified by the greenish heartwood, and the aroma.

Not to mention the size (around here.)

Color of the wood?

Can you see a difference between heartwood and sapwood?

That bark looks an aweful lot like the Flowering Dogwood I cut last fall. But flowering dogwood doesn't get too large, so if this is a large tree I would rule it out.

Bark does not look like the cottonwood that I normally see.

Isn't there also a gum tree that has bark similar to that?

I think that is an old Black Gum. They aren't a really big tree and I have never seen them as a dominant (most common) tree in any part of the forest so they aren't very well known, but they grow as understory or scattered trees over a wide area of the US. I have seen a few that have trunks over two feet in diameter and those big ones get a really thick bark like the pics show but have whitish, lightweight wood. I don't think Black Gum is particularly closely related to Sweetgum, but both tend to be stringy, I think.

Hard to tell from the pictures what it is. Wood Duck may be right, could be Black Gum- if so, it will be VERY hard to split.

Status
Not open for further replies.