Wood Id.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_602z

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2009
Lake Odessa,MI
Trying to figure this wood out. Showed to our local mill and he didn't know. It is a hard,heavy wood, gets its leaves late in spring has no pods like locust. It is growing in a grove of about 30 of them from 3" to 20"diameter. The bark curls out and is quite sharp.

Thanks Gary

Attachments

• 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 514
  • 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 458
What state/location?
Red elm is my guess.

Can you get a closeup pic of the split and the end grain? Kind of looks Oak-ish but the bark doesn't look familiar to me.

But did the leaves have many leaflets, like a locust (honey locust)? Depending on the time of year, you may not see seed pods on the tree.

Sorry,

Bogydave I am in Michigan. Good guess on the red elm but I know what they look like.

Woody, definitely not a oak.

TreePointer the leaves are not like a locust nor does the bark seem to indicate that. Sorry I don't have any leave pictures.

Gary

Pics can be deceiving. Have you ruled out black cherry?

Any pics of twigs with buds, branches, overall form of tree?

TreePointer said:
Pics can be deceiving. Have you ruled out black cherry?

Any pics of twigs with buds, branches, overall form of tree?

No Way.

I cut into some rounds last week.....thought it was Locust.....not sure now.....split it, and it's like a Neon Green center...WTF !!

Gary_602z said:
Trying to figure this wood out. Showed to our local mill and he didn't know. It is a hard,heavy wood, gets its leaves late in spring has no pods like locust. It is growing in a grove of about 30 of them from 3" to 20"diameter. The bark curls out and is quite sharp.

Thanks Gary

Hackberry.

Gary_602z said:

Thanks Gary
More interesting than the wood is the splitter. It looks too close to the wheelhorse?

blujacket said:
Doesn't look like Hackberry I have. Hackberry has the white wood.

Yea I have a bunch milled and still my best guess......The splits remind me of hickory.

Im going with honey locust....or some cousin to it.

lukem said:

+1

lukem said:

+2

nrford said:
lukem said:

+2

Yep, looks like the bark and the color of honey locust that I got this year.

That does look like towards the tops portion of a honey locust... Heavy as heck is also a good indicator... Burnt Red Orange heartwood with lots if it. How does it smell? I think honey locust stinks...

The trees do not crown out but rather any limbs grow pretty much straight up! I will see if I have a picture of them. The grain is straight and would almost make you think it was an oak. No oak smell no acorns and leaves are not oak shaped. If the bark of a Honey Locust and a Black Locust are about the same then it is not that (plus no pods any time of the year). The guy at the mill said it was not hackberry, I have never seen it. Definitely not Cherry although the bark has about the same curl only more pronounced and sharp.

gzecc: We don't know if that is a Lawn Splitter or a Wood Mower! :lol: If I remember right it takes large amounts of beer to make one! I will see if I have a better pic.

Gary

Gary_602z said:
The trees do not crown out but rather any limbs grow pretty much straight up! I will see if I have a picture of them. The grain is straight and would almost make you think it was an oak. No oak smell no acorns and leaves are not oak shaped. If the bark of a Honey Locust and a Black Locust are about the same then it is not that (plus no pods any time of the year). The guy at the mill said it was not hackberry, I have never seen it. Definitely not Cherry although the bark has about the same curl only more pronounced and sharp.

gzecc: We don't know if that is a Lawn Splitter or a Wood Mower! :lol: If I remember right it takes large amounts of beer to make one! I will see if I have a better pic.

Gary

The locust varieties looks completely different. This is honey. It looks a lot like oak with all qualities cept growth rings, faster, and bark, chippy, as you see... Plus the smell of fresh cut is unique. Lots of thornless honey round me and came down this fall so far.

Gary_602z said:
gzecc here is a better pic of the splitter
I thought I was seeing what I was seeing. How do you like that setup? What are the benefits? Would you make it/ buy it again?

smokinjay said:
Gary_602z said:

Thanks Gary

Hackberry.
Doesn't look like Hackberry, looks like Honey Locust to me.

Gary_602z said:

Gary

Neither one of those statements rules out honey locust.

The bark of black locust and honey locust are NOT the same. Also, there is more than one cultivar of honey locust that produces no pods (sterile). Honey locust is different from black cherry, but it will sometimes plate with horizontal lenticels like black cherry...um,, well, very similar to your pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.