Wood Identification!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Was curious if anyone could enlighten me on the types of wood I am burning here. THANKS!

Attachments

• wood.png
    wood.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 338
  • wood1.png
    wood1.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 350
  • wood 1.png
    wood 1.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 333
Pic are not very good, White Oak or silver maple.

First photo, perhaps elm? second on right looks to be soft maple as well as the third photo.

Bwhunter85 said:
Was curious if anyone could enlighten me on the types of wood I am burning here. THANKS!

I think the answer is No, nobody could. I think the best we can do is guess. Not trying to be a smart ass, just commenting on the pictures. On my screen I see only small sized photos, and no view of the wood, only the bark. Ideally we'd see larger photos that include the end of a split as well as the bark. If you have several splits of the same type, that is also helpful. I cannot offer any advice how to post bigger pictures because I can't do it. When I post a picture I have to shrink it or it won't post, but I see others posting really big, sharp photos on this forum.

That said, I think nrford might be right. The first picture appears to have been a dead standing tree (no bark). That suggests Elm because there are a lot of them standing dead, or maybe oak which stand dead a long time. The second shows bark that could be Silver maple, while the third picture shows light-colored wood with reddish bark, resembling Red Maple.

Sassafras? Does it have a distinctive fragrance when split? Light weight? Orange inner bark?

Don't know what the first one is, but the others I don't believe are Sassy- rather Maple like mentioned before.

Status
Not open for further replies.