Wood Mizer LT-40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naandme

Jan 16, 2011
Eaton, Indiana
Got a chance to purchase an LT-40 SH wood mizer portable mill, Not sure first off if its a good deal it has the 36hp gas motor and it has been used quite a bit but seems to work fine. Does anyone know much about this model, I too be honest really don't know much at all about the saw mill but hate too pass up a good deal either. I can pick it up for under 10,000 I believe so any input would be appreciated on it.

Just in case you arent aware of the website, search for sawmill exchange and you might be able to see how good a deal you are getting.

I would hate to drop 10k- If I didnt know my way around it blind folded and could flip through a knot hole backwards 2 out of 3 times. Thats just me though.

I would hate to drop 10k- If I didnt know my way around it blind folded and could flip through a knot hole backwards 2 out of 3 times. Thats just me though.

I hear you Jay Thought it may be a decent investment to resale and try to make 500 to a 1000 on though

They are a nice machine for sure. We've had a fellow come in a few times to saw lumber for a group of us. He is not retired. But we cut a good amount of lumber in a day's time. Sadly I don't remember the board feet amount we cut during some of the days though. I was impressed with the mill. However, I do not know how well they hold up over the years or how expensive it is for fixing anything. The band saws are not cheap.

Naandme said:

I hear you Jay Thought it may be a decent investment to resale and try to make 500 to a 1000 on though

Dime holding up a dollar..lol Hard to know that unless your an Operator. Sick with saw's Or offer 4k then you have a fair chance.

I think the saw exchange or a similar web site have a bunch of info on whether or not to buy a sawmill. I was going to get one and decided not to after reading this I hired someone to do my cutting and was happy I went that route. Turns out the guy now works for me doing carpentry pretty much full time and does his sawing on the side. Couple of things: It's really boring, back and forth all day long. The wind always blows the sawdust in your eyes. It is hard work stacking the lumber. You almost need another person to stack, more money. Nobody wants to pay enough to make it pay. I hate to sound so negative but $10,000.00 would buy you alot of saw time with an operator that knows how to run the equipment. Unless you are planning a new career and have a ton of sawing lined up I would think twice about buying.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.