Wood pellets Outside Storage on Wood Pallets - a new experience!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Since I got more pellets this year to stock up, I had no choice but to store some outside.

I have seen in other posts that is not the best way but I had no choice!

So I put them under the deck just as they came to see what would happen.

I found that even though there a plastic cover is placed on the whole pallet and then clear wrapping is put around the sides there is a problem!!

Snow, ice and eventually water seeps down along the sides between the clear side wrapping and the plastic cover.

Somehow this got into a corner of one of the bags in the pallet and I could feel the clumped pellets when carrying the bag in.

So, now that I learned a lesson I put a tarp on top of the wood pallets under the deck.

Should this clear up the problem? See pics

Attachments

• OutsideWoodPelletStorage (1)sc.jpg
    OutsideWoodPelletStorage (1)sc.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 803
  • OutsideWoodPelletStorage (2)sc.jpg
    OutsideWoodPelletStorage (2)sc.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 812
I have noticed TSC and Ace hardware store theirs outside on pallets. I dont know if it's because they are overstocked or they just dont have a place for them. Fortunately I have 2 wood sheds that could hold over 10 cord of wood. These sheds will now be for pellet storage.

That looks like a really thin cover they gave you there, I know the Maine woods pellets I bought came with a cheesy paper thin cover, luckily I saved a thicker cover my okanagans came with.

I store mine outside every year, just like HD does. Never really had any problems, this year none. Maybe, one or two bags a year have a clump. So, I bring them down to HD and get another.

Tom C.

Isn't there room in your Shed? Half ton on each side when you walk in??

I leave my entire stash of Cleanfires right where they get dropped by the driver.
No additional protection. Out of the 6 tons that I bought for my daughter's studio
apartment & our A-frame for this season, I've lost about 1/3 of one bag this year.
It was at the bottom of the first ton & the rain had spattered onto it. Last year I
lost 2 FULL bags from an icicle falling & piercing the plastic wrap, then melting into
them...I'd build a storage shed, but my taxes are already too freekin high...

columbua city oregon has over 3k pallets outside, they put reusable planking between the double stack of pallets and some stacks that will not get shipped in a few months will get a polytarp job. they report minimal loose fromwater/rain ... most places store outdoor for months prior to shipping to your dealer.

I cover mine with a heavy 22 oz tarp before I move them inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.