wood pile inventory to date.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
Just curious who has burned how much of their wood pile 2005-2006 burn season to date. I'm looking at 40% left to burn before I must tap into 2006-2007 inventory. Yikes, time to start scrounging again soon.

Approaching 2 cords burn so far Running two Epa approved stoves

Dylan said:
No clue here....I just burn what's there, and take little time to measure that which is added to or removed from my inventory. Been doing it this way for eighteen years.

Perhaps, this is one of my shortcomings as a woodburner.

I wouldn't consider that a shortcoming at all. Seems like you have always had enough seasoned on hand prior to the start of the burn season. Something I need to do. This year I plan on 24/7 burn from Dec. 1 to March 1 then burn as needed after March 1. Anyway, about 2.5 cords burned since autum of 2005.

Actually I am guessing, Like Dlyan I add to the pile. Still 16 no make that 15 cords here. 6 stacked are ready for prime time
last year. Another 3-4 cords stacked for next year but cut and split last year. 5 more split but has to be processed to 16" length and some splitting and stacked. 1.5 cords green that needs complete processing. I will probably obtain another 3-4 cords before this time next year. . To me one never has enough wood when it gets damn cold. No damper action

Where do you get your wood? Around here (NW New Jersey), wood goes for 140-230 a cut split, delivered cord of mixed hardwoods. I am perfectly capable of handling a chainsaw, logsplitter, and such, but have not not enough land to do it. How much land does it take to be renewable for a family? OR is this scrounged wood? I see a lot of it around. Log rounds left there to rot, big branches screaming, "BURN ME!!", etc.

Just curious, doing research for the future.

Joshua

joshuaviktor said:
Where do you get your wood? Around here (NW New Jersey), wood goes for 140-230 a cut split, delivered cord of mixed hardwoods. I am perfectly capable of handling a chainsaw, logsplitter, and such, but have not not enough land to do it. How much land does it take to be renewable for a family? OR is this scrounged wood? I see a lot of it around. Log rounds left there to rot, big branches screaming, "BURN ME!!", etc.

Joshua
Joshua,
Central Jersey here, I am on the road alot with my job and use that as an advantage to view new developments, and or power co. right of ways that they trim. Easy to scrounge for free. Also contact a tree service in your area, I have one who will drop off free logs that they care not to dispose of. Makes sure you can cut some LARGE logs as you get what they drop. Keep your eys on the road too, lots of dead wood on cell phones . LOL

Ok, I'm tired. I actually had to read the last line 3 times to get it. Argh. LOL.

Tree service, sounds good! I'll have to contact some eventually. Tell you what, when I moved up here from Louisiana, could have had as much live oak as I wanted. Oak for free, any amount, down there. Anyone wanta go halfsies on a tractor trailer?

They're burning football field sized tree dumps to get rid of all the logs dropped by the hurricanes.

Joshua

adrpga498 said:
joshuaviktor said:

Joshua
Joshua,
Central Jersey here, I am on the road alot with my job and use that as an advantage to view new developments, and or power co. right of ways that they trim. Easy to scrounge for free. Also contact a tree service in your area, I have one who will drop off free logs that they care not to dispose of. Makes sure you can cut some LARGE logs as you get what they drop. Keep your eys on the road too, lots of dead wood on cell phones . LOL

I'll second this post. I'm in NY and I just put the word out to everyone I know plus a few neighbors that had dead trees on their property, and I now have enough for the season. And I'm up to 3 cords for next year. cut and split. I probably have 25 cords still standing waiting to be processed. Put out the word. You'll find it's like this stuff grows on trees.

Ok, Ok, enough with the bad puns!!! LOL

Makes sense, thanks. I'll start now to get ready for next year. Appreciate it.

Hi Warren,

You’ll find it’s like this stuff grows on trees.

BEST QUOTE OF THE YEAR!!!!!!

CARPNIELS

Yeah...first I'd say put out the word. just let people know you burn wood. then when asked what you did this weekend, mention splitting, cutting or stacking. I'm constantly getting folks who want me to come over and cut up and take away a fallen oak tree. much more than I can handle. just found out that I don't have to work monday so I'll be getting 2 pickup loads of wood this weekend. that puts me at 5 of the 10 that are my goal for this winter. (tu burn next winter or the year after that. ) Speaking of wood. it was a beautiful day today and the boys just went around playing, and sitting in their rooms playing video games....didn't bother with their chores. I got in two loads of wood last night and this morning. since most of that has been burned, getting the house back up to temp I just pulled the boys off their movie and sent them out to fill the wood bins. I figure I am somewhere around 1 1/2 cords burned so far. I have 2 more cords that I know are ready and probly half a cord that will be ready by late feb. So we'll see what happens then. all the rest of what I have won't be ready till next year.

1 cord here, many to go but its been warm here in the pocono's, i think ill be under last years 4 cords

just finished the 1st cord have 2 more to go

Status
Not open for further replies.