Wood rack advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I'm going to build a wood rack this spring, kind of like a 4 foot by whatever deck.

What size lumber should I use?

I was thinking 2x10 12 feet long on 16 inch centers, supported every 6 feet by 4x4 posts. Will this be strong enough to hold a stack of wood 5 or 6 feet high?

Should I go with 2x12? Could I get away with 2x8?

Will supporting it every 6 feet be ok?

I figure out using oak as a baseline. The weight per square foot is 187 pounds

I built one using 2 x 4's for the sides and 2 x 10's for the floor, I supported it every 4 feet underneath. I have my wood stacked about 5' high. I can fit just about 3 cords and it makes it easy to stack and cover. Nothing fancy like some of the sheds these guys have built but it was a good way to use some scrap lumber I had hanging around.
I may build another one this summer so ill always have 3 cords seasoning.

Are you saying you used 2 x4's to support the load? Are they on 16" centers? What did you use to hold if off the ground every four feet? Also, how long did you make it? At 4 feet by 5 feet and 16 feet long that would be 2 1/2cords. I'm figuring you would need it to be 19 feet long for three cords.

I was going to nail some chain link fence on it for the floor, so I would get more airflow.

I made the frame out of 2 x 4's but used the bigger wood for the floor and sides. Its actually 6' X 12' and I stack it a little over 5' high. Ill take a pic to show you, its nothing fancy but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.