Wood re-purposing. Here's what I have been up to.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
Now that it is getting darker earlier in the evening, I have switched gears and am now spending more time in the basement on woodworking projects. This bookcase was requested by my wife after our cheap-o box store one finally collapsed. I have been collecting the quarter-sawn oak over the past two years from discarded furniture including two dining room table leaves and an antique armoir that was tossed. I needed about three 8' pieces of new quarter-sawn oak for the frame and some oak plywood for the shelves. Total cost was under $100.00. Matching the stain to get the old wood close to the shade of the new wood is a challenge. Thanks to Battenkiller for talking woodworking at the Woodstock meet-up that helped me get through this project. His home-built canoe was also a kick in the pants to get me to finish this.

One picture is the pile of oak I had to work with. The top of the bookcase was two of the old dining room table leaves with incredible grain flecking. They were ripped to size and biscuit-joined to make them the necessary width. The side panels were part of the armoir. The back panels were the doors from the armoir. One panel was split down the length in two places, but I repaired that using 5 dutchmen, visible only from the back. Part of the bottom back frame has the armoir keyhole left in place to remind me that the wood once had another purpose years before.

Thanks Craig for putting this forum section up, this is a great start so far, kind of a place to unwind and get to know what people do besides woodburning.

If people like seeing the projects, I'll put up a few others in time. I have an oak sideboard table that was covered in paint, with its' legs cut off. It was heading for the dumpster until I rescued it and restored it. I am going to be working up a hearth-related wood project soon that may be the perfect gift for the holidays for your favorite woodburner in your life. More to come...

Attachments

• DSC09838-1.jpg
    DSC09838-1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC09908.jpg
    DSC09908.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC09912.jpg
    DSC09912.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 347
It's a lot of work but your end result certainly shows the time you put in.

I built a bar top out of 50 year old (to be discarded) rough cut oak last winter. Refinished about 9 pieces of furniture the year before I was married. Only done the bar since. Go figure :-S

So what's next?

pen

Nice!

Have I mentioned that I hate people with skills. Every piece of wood I have ever touched trying to make something has ended up as kindling. >:-(

Here is a cherry burl split that did not make it to the stove. Now a snail with apple wood neck and brass toilet seat hinge for eyes. Forever preserved in polyurethane.

Pen - I'll post the next one up when I finish it in a few days.

Attachments

• DSC09936.jpg
    DSC09936.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 306
fishingpol said:
Here is a cherry burl split that did not make it to the stove. Now a snail with apple wood neck and brass toilet seat hinge for eyes. Forever preserved in polyurethane.

I draw the line at the snail. That's it, you don't drink enough. You are far too productive. I am concerned about you.

pen

Nah, a nice Sam Adams is poured sometimes 'cept when the power tools are running. I figure my kids can sell off all my crap when I'm gone and make a few bucks at the same time. :mad:

fishingpol said:
Nah, a nice Sam Adams is poured sometimes 'cept when the power tools are running. I figure my kids can sell off all my crap when I'm gone and make a few bucks at the same time. :mad:

Rationalizations aren't going to help you here fish. BB and I will start you on the 12 step program tomorrow. It isn't easy. It begins with either Natural Light or Busch Light.

:lol:

(I'm a closet Sam Adams guy too, just don't tell the other folks around)

pen

fishingpol said:

Amazing!

Gary

pen said:
fishingpol said:

Rationalizations aren't going to help you here fish. BB and I will start you on the 12 step program tomorrow. It isn't easy. It begins with either Natural Light or Busch Light.

:lol:

(I'm a closet Sam Adams guy too, just don't tell the other folks around)

pen

12 steps seems like it will cut into my wood working time. Come up with a 3 step and I'm in.

Thanks Gary.

fishingpol said:
12 steps seems like it will cut into my wood working time. Come up with a 3 step and I'm in.

Thanks Gary.

Alright Gary, I haven't pulled this out since college but I will for you. Since you are opting for the accelerated program one of us will have to come and assist you in your progress.

double_funnel_reg.jpg

pen

TV Cabinet/Bookcase built May 2010 from reclaimed 50+ yr old 1 1/8" Birch during Summer 2008 remodel of Drake University Residence halls.

Bit heavier stock that I normally work with,was too nice to see it tossed in dumpster.Buildings built 1958-59 - 4 different buildings all connected with top story steel walkways 3 stories each with 40 apartments.Each one had solid Birch & Maple trim,shelving,cabinets made from top grade 3/4 birch plywood & solid core doors.Only had room to take home 25 or so pieces.If I had the space,I literally could've brought home a semi-load worth.What a shame.The quality of this older material is so much better than anything you can find today,no matter the cost.

Top unit that VCR/DVD etc set on is made from more salvaged material - Solid Cherry,Douglas Fir & 3/4" Red Oak plywood from 2 other remodeling jobs in the late '90's 1 a hospital & a large hotel lobby.

Attachments

• TV-DVD CabinetBookcase 1.jpg
    TV-DVD CabinetBookcase 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 273
  • TV Cabinet-Bookcase 2.jpg
    TV Cabinet-Bookcase 2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 259
Pic 1 & 2 Hophornbeam (Ironwood) Candlestick with White Oak plinth,19th Century German 7/16 Mortice Chisel with new Ironwood handle, 2 Mallets,Egg "Art Object" with Black Cherry stand.
Pic 5 Ironwood Burl candlestick,Hickory base.
Pic 4 Honey Locust tool chest,lumber milled from local salvaged logs.

Pic 3 Honey Locust bowl,wall from 1/16" to 3/16" thick.

Depending on the quality,size & condition of the piece of wood,I can tell whether its fuel,wood for the smoker/fire pit or something useful or decorative. Many a candlestick,tool handle or small bowl started out in the kindling box or scrap pile.Always on the lookout for something unusual and/or extra nice grain pattern.

Attachments

• ironwood & cherry20511.jpg
    ironwood & cherry20511.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 233
  • mallet 2.jpg
    mallet 2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 244
  • large honey locust bowl 3.jpg
    large honey locust bowl 3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 252
  • honey locust tool chest.jpg
    honey locust tool chest.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 233
  • hophornbeam candlestick 1.jpg
    hophornbeam candlestick 1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 243
fishingpol said:
Now that it is getting darker earlier in the evening, I have switched gears and am now spending more time in the basement on woodworking projects. This bookcase was requested by my wife after our cheap-o box store one finally collapsed. I have been collecting the quarter-sawn oak over the past two years from discarded furniture including two dining room table leaves and an antique armoir that was tossed. I needed about three 8' pieces of new quarter-sawn oak for the frame and some oak plywood for the shelves. Total cost was under $100.00. Matching the stain to get the old wood close to the shade of the new wood is a challenge. Thanks to Battenkiller for talking woodworking at the Woodstock meet-up that helped me get through this project. His home-built canoe was also a kick in the pants to get me to finish this.

One picture is the pile of oak I had to work with. The top of the bookcase was two of the old dining room table leaves with incredible grain flecking. They were ripped to size and biscuit-joined to make them the necessary width. The side panels were part of the armoir. The back panels were the doors from the armoir. One panel was split down the length in two places, but I repaired that using 5 dutchmen, visible only from the back. Part of the bottom back frame has the armoir keyhole left in place to remind me that the wood once had another purpose years before.

Thanks Craig for putting this forum section up, this is a great start so far, kind of a place to unwind and get to know what people do besides woodburning.

If people like seeing the projects, I'll put up a few others in time. I have an oak sideboard table that was covered in paint, with its' legs cut off. It was heading for the dumpster until I rescued it and restored it. I am going to be working up a hearth-related wood project soon that may be the perfect gift for the holidays for your favorite woodburner in your life. More to come...

That is a stunning bookcase.I really like the snail too.Great job on both. :coolsmile:

Beautiful stuff folks. I love it. Several rounds of our maple have been given to bowl turners. I'm looking forward to seeing what they discover in that beautiful grain.

Thanks, nice work on your projects Thistle.

Did you see this pic a few moths ago from the Shelburne Museum? This wall was loaded with hand tools.

Attachments

• DSC09679.jpg
    DSC09679.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 254
Beautiful work Fishingpol and Thistle . . . makes my feeble carpentry skills look like a 2nd grader making a birdhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.