Wood round tables: Finishing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
Last year, we had a really big poplar tree taken down. The crew was nice enough to saw us two rounds so we could use them as outdoor tables. It's been a year, they're nice and dry...so it's time to finish them. My wife stained one side of both rounds...but doesn't like the color. So we'd like to use the unfinished side as the tops of the tables.

What's a good finish to put on the tables? I'd like something clear, that'll create a durable shell.

Well, you could poly it and put many coats on but nothing holds up as well as a clear epoxy resin coating like they use for bar tops.

Skier76 said:
Last year, we had a really big poplar tree taken down. The crew was nice enough to saw us two rounds so we could use them as outdoor tables. It's been a year, they're nice and dry...so it's time to finish them. My wife stained one side of both rounds...but doesn't like the color. So we'd like to use the unfinished side as the tops of the tables.

What's a good finish to put on the tables? I'd like something clear, that'll create a durable shell.

Marine varnish if it is going to be outdoors.

Thanks guys! Is most of that stuff available at the big box stores?

Those are some expensive finises mention. Very good products too. I am thinking if these tables are big rounds and out door tables, this could be a time to lay back off the expensive stuff. I would beewax it. Its clear will darken a little.

Attachments

• better board butter.jpg
    better board butter.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 225
  • q2.jpg
    q2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 250
  • xxxxx.jpg
    xxxxx.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 253
smokinjay said:
Those are some expensive finises mention. Very good products too. I am thinking if these tables are big rounds and out door tables, this could be a time to lay back off the expensive stuff. I would beewax it. Its clear will darken a little.

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but since the table tops are cross-cuts they are going to be very porous. I'd like to use several coats of marine varnish to fill up all the nooks and crannies and give a smooth surface. Marine varnish isn't a wallet killer like epoxy or resin *could* be.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but since the table tops are cross-cuts they are going to be very porous. I'd like to use several coats of marine varnish to fill up all the nooks and crannies and give a smooth surface. Marine varnish isn't a wallet killer like epoxy or resin *could* be.

Beewax works great sheds water like a duck! But would never be afraid to throw 20.00 at a top. (Never price Marine grade) Never had outside furniture I would even want to POP! lol

You can pick up Marine Varnish for $15 buck a quart at an Ace Hardware or something similar. Unless these are some monster rounds, or he's going for a finish as deep as the ocean, one quart would probably do it, but def not more that 2.

lukem said:
You can pick up Marine Varnish for $15 buck a quart at an Ace Hardware or something similar. Unless these are some monster rounds, or he's going for a finish as deep as the ocean, one quart would probably do it, but def not more that 2.

Qt. would do it....I am still struggling with out side furniture with a clear coat POP......Now you need really nice chairs. lol

Marine spar varnish is the way to go if you are looking to build up layers and make it last.

Thanks guys!

I picked up some Minwax Helmsman @ the Depot at lunch. $15 for the quart. I went with a semi gloss. It recomends three coats; sanding with 220 grit between coats. I'll be sure to report back.

Skier76 said:
Thanks guys!

I picked up some Minwax Helmsman @ the Depot at lunch. $15 for the quart. I went with a semi gloss. It recomends three coats; sanding with 220 grit between coats. I'll be sure to report back.

FYI:

Dont shake that stuff...Use a stir stick
Shaking it will add millions of air bubbles and flaw the finished product. You wont notice it until its too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.