Wood Score, neighbor hacks down massive RedMaples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
After hearing my neighbor fell 2 good sized Red Maples last month.....I've seen his friend come over a few times and haul away a bunch of it.
I got a call from him last week telling me I can have the rest and it's all bucked up. I took a ride over with the cub and there was a bunch of it left....but........
All huge massive chunks laying in the wet lands....pioson ivy....prickers.....big rounds sopping wet with.....sap......marsh water.....wheeeew my back hurt just looking at'em!
Well .....it was good work out and while I loaded the last piece he pointed to 3 other trees I could have............free btu's

I know I'll have Wood ID freaks like myself looking at the pile........yep there's a little ash and sweetgum in there from last year.....

WoodButcher

Attachments

• SAM_3509.jpg
    SAM_3509.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 429
  • SAM_3516.jpg
    SAM_3516.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 440
  • SAM_3519.jpg
    SAM_3519.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 414
Nice score man! Best part is its close to your house

I love it when it is an easy score. I don't see any rounds there that look scary. I like working big rounds. Lot of wood per round.

Last year, I worked some that were big enough that each round would fill the bucket.

Attachments

• easy1.jpg
    easy1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 251
I'm with Jags. Nothing wrong with the big ones and you can make firewood fast.

Think of it this way.... all else being equal.....

3 ft DBH 10 feet long...

(1.5*1.5)*3.14*10

2.25*3.14*10 = 70.65 cubic feet of wood.

1 ft DBH 10 feet long

(.5*.5)*3.14*10

.25*3.14*10 = 7.85 cubic feet of wood

10 times the cubic feet with it being 3 times the DBH !!

I will take the big ones for sure.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.