Wood score this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane

Minister of Fire
Feb 18, 2009
Central NJ
I was driving my daughter to school this morning and saw this laying on the side of the road. Left my the Public Works guys. So I went back and took three loads. On the last load I went down the road to turn around and they had a locust cut. I wish I saw the locust first but I am happy with what I got. It is mostly hard maple, with a few white oak and a few locust in the front. The pile is deceiving because those logs are mostly 6 ft long just barely fit in my truck bed, and a hell of a workout loading them myself. I may go back and see if the locust is still there later and snag some. I need my saw with me for that. All that I have so far was loaded as it was, no saw required. This wood is for 2011-2012 burning. The piles with the black cover in the back is some of my 2010-2011 wood.

Attachments

• IM001019.jpg
    IM001019.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 683
  • IM001018.jpg
    IM001018.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 699
Sweet score bro.

Nice!!!

I carry my Craftsman 42cc saw in the back of my Tacoma (w/canopy) all the time just in case I'm driving around and see a good score. I bought the saw for $25 at a yard sale and it works just great, but if it got stolen from my truck it wouldn't be such a big deal.......

NP

Good score. Scrounging can get you some good firewood.

sweet - that is an awsome score. been said over and over - best wood is free wood!!

Yeah, I can see how that would've been a tussle getting some of them big pieces loaded by yourself. I assume that the biggest pieces you stood up straight against your tailgate and lifted and slid them on, but those that look about 3-4 feet long must've been even worse to do! Very nice score...

The long ones were done as you said, some of them were heavy just to get stood up. The medium ones were hardest, what I try to do is stand them on top of another log so they reach the tailgate. That does not always work and then I just grunt the logs in anyway my brute force can get it in there.

Coming across a score like this sure gets the adrenaline pumping! Only a wood whore would understand. Nice score

Nice score , it's great when a plan comes thru

I am a rookie but lovin this scrounger life.........went to the dump today with trailer so I could grab another load of free pine where the power line guys have been cutting on the way home -but, lo and behold, there was nice trailer load of stove sized hardwood logs in the brush pile which I have already split - a couple had few punky spots but most looks pretty dry and ready to burn later this year.... guess I will grab the pine stash another time!

Status
Not open for further replies.