Wood scrounging / hunting tips and advice wanted please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNC

Jan 3, 2011
Fayetteville, NC
Im new to burning but want to be prepared for next season. I see alot of people on here talking about scrounging up wood but never see how or where. I bought a cord of wood for 130 for this season and found a ton of pallets behind the flooring store that they were happy to have me haul off. But I want some good hardwoods that I can start piling up for next year. I would really like your advice based on your own experiences.

Thanks

DonNC said:
Im new to burning but want to be prepared for next season. I see alot of people on here talking about scrounging up wood but never see how or where. I bought a cord of wood for 130 for this season and found a ton of pallets behind the flooring store that they were happy to have me haul off. But I want some good hardwoods that I can start piling up for next year. I would really like your advice based on your own experiences.

Thanks

Craigs list is one source. Trees fall or are cut down for whatever reason and people want them hauled off for free.

You could also drive around after a storm and offer to take fallen trees from peoples yards. Some folks get uppity about insurance though.

Cut the pallets into pieces and tap the pieces into kindling with your go devil/maul. They will spit into perfect uniform pieces and you will never have too much kindling. Talk to people and let them know where you stand and trust me they will come back to you. They know people too. If you have any land take a look and see what may be a hazard, need pruning, or just needs to come down for sunlight or whatever. Since youre in NC you can get the iwanna or just go to www.iwanna.com cuz like WiR stated lotsa folks just want it hauled away. Feel them out first and make sure it isnt a pile of crap 50 ft down an embankment and you have to carry it uphill. I learned a lot offering to take unwanted wood over the last 3 yrs. If youre gonna buy wood do it in the spring, prices may be better. Watch for downed trees when youre out and youll develop a keen eye for them in a short time. Just a few tips, hope they help.

All I can say is get the word out you are looking for wood. I have neighbors come to me all the time about taking down trees for them. Of course, I assess how much potential damage could be done to their houses before i even consider cutting them down. Talk to peopl around town if they know of anyone with wood lots that would be willing to let you "clean them up". There are often a lot of downed trees that people would like removed. Keep your eyes open as you travel down the road- you never know what you may find.

Scrounging for wood is whatever you can find. It takes a lot of word of mouth, but it can be done.

DonNC said:

Thanks

Contact some local tree services and barter with them. Namely offer them a free place to dump wood (your driveway) in exchange for free wood...they don't pay dump fees, you dont pay for wood! I first posted a Craiglist ad and got one good bite from it. Found a local tree service that quit selling firewood and took me up on my offer to dump their wood at my place. But my ad would keep getting flagged or would go to the bottom of the list and I just wasn't getting enough hits. So then I found a comprehensive list provided by local government of all licensed tree services here in this area and the list included email addresses. So I blast emailed (blind copied) 47 different tree services offering them a free place to dump their wood. I got 5 good hits from this and in the past 2 weeks i've gotten around 2-3 cords of free hardwood delivered to my house...sure beats scrounging. I did set a few ground rules namely, nothing under 5-6 inch diameter and no trash etc. Most of these guys chip small stuff so no worries. Since you live around a lot of good hardwoods you may want to limit your offer to just good stuff (no pine, no cottonwood, etc.). I'll take any species because I live in coniferous zone.

I searched for a similar list in Fayettville but couldn't find one but I did find this: http://www.google.com/search?q=faye...roup&ct=more-results&resnum=5&ved=0CDIQtQMwBA

Send emails to all those guys in that list offering to trade.

Good luck!
J

I've found mine from two main sources - simply asking friends and neighbors, and roadside pickups such as wood put at the curb or stopping by when a tree service is working and asking for the wood. I have been surprised how many friends have trees or down wood they want to get rid of. I need to ask more people with land about cutting down wood. I have also found a lot of wood at the curb or down trees/limbs. Many people are happy to see the wood taken away. Tree services generally are happy to give away wood. Even the ones that sell firewood have more than they can handle and don't want to haul wood if I will take it instead. Scrounging goes slowly at first, then at some point you start getting wood without trying. You are smart to start early.

I got a lot of wood after a storm blew through town just by asking people if they wanted someone to remove it. Some was already cut up and stacked along the curb. When I asked if I could take it the gentleman said "I wish you would I'd hate to see it go to waste but I don't have any use for it". I snagged a well rounded truck load in 2 blocks. Don't be afraid to ask, the worst that could happen is they say no.

I've had some luck driving down utility line access roads. Around here people like to dump there (usually w/ in 100' of the road) mostly junk but some times landscaping material including limbs and trees.

I put an add on craigslist; Dead trees removed free. Got a lot of wood. Got a few waste of time calls too. Some folks wanted free pruning. Be willing to burn pine. Most people don't want it so it is free, often delivered and often bucked. Check your local lanfill. I got a face cord of fresh white oak the last time I went to the dump. Anytime you see tree work happening, stop and ask.
Check craigslist frequently, my last craigslist score was 1/2 cord of rockmaple, bucked. Keep your eye on wood piles in peoples yards. If they don't seem to use them, ask. I got 1 1/2 cords of very well seasoned cut/split oak just for asking. Find a sawmill and ask about slab wood. Find a pallet factory and ask about scrap. Make freinds with tree workers.

Keep your eyes and ears open. Talk about wood, talk about burning wood, talk about collecting wood, talk about needing wood. I'm going to get what sounds like about 20' of 18" hickory that the utility people took down but left because someone at work heard me talking about getting firewood. Hope it pans out as good as it sounds.

In Charlotte, tree guys have started to post to CL announcing when and where they will be cutting and to come and get it. Several times if they are cutting big wood they will have equipment to load it on your trailer. I've got a relationship now with a tree service that has been great for about 2 years now simply because I saw him cutting and stopped to ask him about the wood.

Got a huge (3' diameter 25-30') red oak last summer because I saw it in the yard and the homeowner was hauling brush to the curb. Asked about cutting and taking it and he was DELIGHTED. Turned out it had been cut by one the the tree services, and I use that term loosely, that walk the neighborhoods going door to door. He paid the guy up front and got stuck with this huge tree laying in his yard because the guys never came back.

Anytime you see something, stop and ask. I've raised 3 girls and I've always told them "The answer is ALWAYS no if you don't ask" They hated it but I treated them like boys a lot as we've been burning wood for about 20 years now. I'ts not unusual for me to get a call from one or the other of them "Dad, they're trimming power lines on such and such or Dad, there's a big tree down in someone's yard". Nice having extra eyes on the landscape.

Oh yea, did I mention that you should talk about wood.

Rusty

Unlike those of you who are professionals or a lot more skilled than I, I wouldn't offer to take down trees for anyone. But, I am happy to work on trees or limbs that are down! We just had a storm here. I have a couple of neighbors who had branches drop from trees (maple and cedar), who asked if I would help clear them out. They know I am always on the look-out for wood.

I will drive around on this Saturday (and for a few weeks more) to see if there are any woodpiles on curbs. Have made some excellent hauls this way. I always ask crews who are working whether they would like to save hauling the wood to the dump. We have received both wood and especially wood mulch this way. Perhaps for liability reasons, private contractors are much more willing to deliver than power companies.

I have looked at Craigslist, but have not yet taken advantage of it. Now that I have a gas chainsaw, I will start paying more attention.

Where I live, there are some county properties that have dead (but good quality) wood that just begs to be cut into stove length. Will have to check what the rules on that are. If anyone has advice on this point, I would be happy to hear it.

Collection efforts are limited by two main factors: (1) No pick-up truck. I have a minivan. (2) Storage. We have only about 1/3 of an acre of land in town. A lot of that is taken up with fruits, vegetables and flowers. Not sure I can get my wife to sacrifice some of her plantings (which I also enjoy) for extra stacks of wood.

you just cant be shy. ASK ASK ASK

be polite and respoectuful, act professional and tell people what your doing with it. some think your going to sell it or whatever. tell them its how you heat your house and most people wont think twice. I like using the phrase im doing it at my descretion and risk, and ill clean up afterwards.

but again you have to ask.

Lots of good advice posted already... I'll just add - never say NO to an opportunity.

I made contact with a buddy who works with the city. They are always taking down a tree that too close to power lines or tearing up roads during the spring/summer/fall and they give the wood to who ever shows up before the job is done and then haul it to the dump. My friend is going to start sending me a text any time they cut (hes in the city safety office so they have to "check in" with him every time they take one down in-case some one gets hurt).

I also talked to a co-worker about firewood, come to find out she has property where she rescues horses and wants to create riding trails. Her husband cant do it alone and her brother would help but has major back damage and cant do a whole lot. They love the idea of an extra hand (well the wife did, her husband was pretty quiet).

It really comes down to talking to people and letting them know what your looking for and what your willing to take. After the first "no" youll see most people are polite about it and understand why your asking, they just have other plans for the wood

best of luck!

Got Wood said:
Lots of good advice posted already... I'll just add - never say NO to an opportunity.

I'll have to take exception to that advice I'm afraid. Sweet gum, steep inclines, just plain bad wood, etc.

Once you get started do a couple tree's and can move the weight, they will be calling you!

Here's another one that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Construction sites have been my # 1 producer.

Take a look around your area for new housing communities or if they are building a shopping center. They clear alot of trees and usually pile them to the side for the big commercial chipper / pulp operater to come do their thing. (which is a crying shame)

Stop in to the construction trailer during the week and ask the site supervisor if he wouldn't mind if you cut alittle on the pile. Usually they may have some concern over liability - but I usually tell them I have my own hospitalization and I am very careful and won't leave a mess. Lots of times - these guys burn wood too and say , "help your self" . It's less they have to pay to have hauled away. Afterwords, bring them alittle something. Donuts, anything to say thanks.

90% of my scrounges have come from a housing construction site near my house and the guys there are so nice. They don't clear the lot until the house goes under contract. Then he takes all the trees and lays them out to the side of the lot close to the street near the construction dumpsters for me. It's a beautiful thing. But the community is almost sold out and they are running out of tree'd lots, so I may be hurting the year after next.

So I get excited to see any construction sites - they are a jackpot. On the weekends, they sites are usually a ghost town and you can cut all you want. Just get permission first.

bboulier said:
Unlike those of you who are professionals or a lot more skilled than I, I wouldn't offer to take down trees for anyone. But, I am happy to work on trees or limbs that are down! We just had a storm here. I have a couple of neighbors who had branches drop from trees (maple and cedar), who asked if I would help clear them out. They know I am always on the look-out for wood.

I will drive around on this Saturday (and for a few weeks more) to see if there are any woodpiles on curbs. Have made some excellent hauls this way. I always ask crews who are working whether they would like to save hauling the wood to the dump. We have received both wood and especially wood mulch this way. Perhaps for liability reasons, private contractors are much more willing to deliver than power companies.

I have looked at Craigslist, but have not yet taken advantage of it. Now that I have a gas chainsaw, I will start paying more attention.

Where I live, there are some county properties that have dead (but good quality) wood that just begs to be cut into stove length. Will have to check what the rules on that are. If anyone has advice on this point, I would be happy to hear it.

Collection efforts are limited by two main factors: (1) No pick-up truck. I have a minivan. (2) Storage. We have only about 1/3 of an acre of land in town. A lot of that is taken up with fruits, vegetables and flowers. Not sure I can get my wife to sacrifice some of her plantings (which I also enjoy) for extra stacks of wood.

I have the same problem, lack of space, gardens, no truck (yet). As far as no truck, I have wood delivered from tree services for free in exchange for those guys not having to pay to dump. Lack of space - We happen to have 70 feet of 6 foot high chainlink fence that runs across the rear of our backyard (1/3 acre total as well). We've always wanted a privacy fence but we can't remove the chainlink since the city built it and it borders our property. Solution? I cut pallets into 18" wide sections that run parallel to the bottom of the fence. On the pallets I've started to stack next years wood. Stack will be 70' long, 6' high and a average of 16" wide. That will store 4.4 cord of wood alone and provide us some privacy during the summer. We could double up the row if we needed to and increase that to 8.8 cords storage. We have some other space around the perimeter of our detached garage. I've figured that we can store around 12 cord of wood total without getting in the way of our gardens or being overwhelming (not that I would mind that but my wife might). We use raised beds french intensive method to maximize effeciency of gardening in a smaller space so we dont need a ton of room for that anyways.

Here's the beginning of my privacy fence. Not only does it provide privacy in the summer it provides heat in the winter. My dog was very tired after watching me split:
wood2.jpg

Jutt77 said:
Here's the beginning of my privacy fence. Not only does it provide privacy in the summer it provides heat in the winter. My dog was very tired after watching me split:

Beautiful husky. I have an alaskan malamute named Misty. Wish I could figure out how to post a pic.

Dune said:
Jutt77 said:

Beautiful husky. I have an alaskan malamute named Misty. Wish I could figure out how to post a pic.

Thank ya. She's almost 11 years old now so we're looking to get another husky here soon. My next door neighbor has a big malamute...cool dog, we give him chicken jerky treats over the fence so he's a big fan of us.

All good ideas so far. Ive posted ads on Craigslist for trees guys to dump in my driveway. Ive posted ads for homeowners- if they have storm damage or downed trees i'll come and take them away. i'll stop and talk to EVERY tree crew I see working and ask them what I can take...if theyre close to my house- they will even drop it off. But, by far the most fruitful has been cold calling tree companies on the phone and giving them my info....when they are working in my area, they call the day before to confirm time of drop off and species of wood, and PRESTO----> free firewood. It is usually in log length (6'-8') and I'll buck it to size and split it myself. I prefer it this way, as I burn N/S and like my splits 15" long.
Persistance is the key to finding firewood. Dont be shy. ASK!! Good Luck!

wood-fan-atic said:
Persistance is the key to finding firewood. Dont be shy. ASK!! Good Luck!

+1...scrounging aint for the lazy or unmotivated, thats for sure. I like the idea of the cold call too, I'll have to try that.

good luck and happy hunting - I am a year into this scrounging thing and have hit on Craig's List, Town public works/highway yard, tree service in hood, family, dump/transfer station, neighbors, side of road - go for it - freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee heat is a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.