Wood Shed Progress.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

River19

Nov 19, 2008
Southern Ma & Northern VT
In 2009 we finished building our Log Cabin in Vt and since then have been doing various things to the cabin and property as there are always projects to do. After stacking 2-3 cord unter the deck in front of the walk out basement the past couple winters, I knew this year we needed to build a wood shed.

Luckily, I had a bunch of leftover scrap lumber stacked up, we added a 16' dormer to the cabin mid-build, which meant we cut out the rafters from that section so I ahd plenty of 2x10 sections around in 14' length give or take, plus plenty of 2x6's and random PT 2x4's.

75% of this thing is scrap lumber........

2x10" floor frame with 2x6 joists 14" on center with 2x10 flooring. Only the 4x4 posts, cement and 2 pieces of plywood were purchased and I need some T-111 (3 sheerts) for the back and some lattice for the sides. Should hold about 3 cord when stacked.

A few pics......I framed it to maximize floor space once I ate up space with the 4x4's being lag bolted into the framing.....and one random pic of the view from standing near the shed.......beacuse I had the damn picture....:)

Attachments

• Shed 1.jpg
    Shed 1.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 562
  • Shed 2.jpg
    Shed 2.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 553
  • Shed 4.jpg
    Shed 4.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 565
  • Mountain Pic.jpg
    Mountain Pic.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 558
Nice and simple... open and low cost. Looks good too!

Beautiful view!

Very nice looking . . . and functional. Gotta love a good woodshed.

Thanks; The view is pretty solid, we're lucky with the spot we got/stole.....

Since all our weather comes from the back side of this wood shed, I'm thinking of going T-111 solid back and then leaving teh sides open or using some open lattice on the sides with a 24" solid knee wall as having 2-3' of snow in the yard is normal for us (I'm married so that was her suggestion)....

I want some good airflow but also know we get some heavy wind blown snow and rain from back there and the wood would quickly be covered in the back.

The way I framed the "rafters" allows for airflow from the back through the top of the stacks even with T-111 back there.........plus the floor allows som decent flow as well.

Thoughts?

Good work and nice view. I'll bet that is beautiful when the leaves change.

I would not shut off the back of the shed. Better to leave air circulation. Don't worry at all about rain and snow hitting the side of the wood stacks. It won't harm the wood at all nor will the wood soak it up unless it is in huge quantity over a long period of time.

Very Nice Shed!

River19 said:
...Only the 4x4 posts, cement and 2 pieces of plywood were purchased...

Well...as someone who is very familiar with making design changes in mid-project that result in leftover building materials, I would argue that you did, in fact, purchase the other materials...just not recently, and certainly not with a wood shed in mind. :) Rick

Nice shed, and I like the floor.
Rick's right, bought and paid for....at some point.
I only left the front of mine open, and get some snow in there, but not enough to worry about. Most of our weather comes from the west side (left), and that's enclosed with vertical planks and 1/4" - 1/2" spacing between them for airflow. Not a problem.

Very nice wood shelter and great view too! I love VT. too, beautiful state!

Ray

good lookiong shed. Man - i gotta get me a view like that.......

Here's the best part, someone else paid for that dormer change mid way through getting the cabin dried in.....long story, but the log company and the contractor we had dry it in weren't on the same page and things got screwed up, the consolation was them giving us the dormer materials and labor for free. Once the cabin was dried in my wife and I spent 50 straight weekends in 2009 finsihing the interior including soapstone counter etc......man do I have stories and pictures.

Imagine handing your gorgeous wife a shovel and TP when she asked where the bathroom was for the morning buiness......3 months of that....:)

The view is great.....actually even better from the covered porch......we worked hard for it and do it all ourselves but it's ours.

Thanks for the suggestions on the shed......

I LOVE VERMONT want to live there hopefuly one day. Used to live in CT. So I know how beautiful it is up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.