Wood Shrinkage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Kind of curious if anyone knows how much freshly cut and split firewood will shrink as it drys. I never noticed this before and I guess there could be lots of variables in this. But whats the average, 10%, 20%. If I have some 20" fresh Oak splits will they shrink to 19"?

In that thread about the Holzhausen they say to put a mark on your pole at 80%, and when the wood is ready you will see the mark. If you have a 8' pole 80% is 6.4. That seems like alot of shrinkage?

I would say 6 to 10 percent.

Dylan doesn't think so, but he's wrong.

Dylan,
I was talking about firewood, not kindling!

You guys are bad, redifines greenwood.

elaine jerry sombody tell her about srinkage. the water was freezing cold

elkimmeg said:
elaine jerry sombody tell her about srinkage. the water was freezing cold

Elaine: "You mean they shrink when they get cold?"
Jerry: "Like a frightened turtle."

You guys are awful. Disgusting, crude, low brow sense of humor, low class, and I'm really mad that you all beat me to evey one of those comments. Now lets talk about how my piles are shrinking. :)

Oh my god elaine elaine!!!!!

Shrinkage does occure, I have had piles fall over and had to restack. What percentage I don't know, IT not noticable upon sight

Shrinkage occurs in other than cold water. In fact, in the opposite.

Consider this: a young verile man was in a "hot tub" with an attractive willing lady who noticed the water temperature reaching 104* F. She exclaimed, "Oh, the water's much too hot!" Whereupon he, feeling his oats, asked "Well why is that, cutie?" "My experience", she explained, "is that in these tubs, no matter how high your desire, no matter how manly you think you are, in 104* F water, you men all inevitably suffer from "the boiled noodle" effect."

Sorry.

Also, logs shrink mostly, I understand, in their diameter, not lengthwise. Ask anyone who has built a log home.

Aye,
Marty

Dylan said:
Sooooo Mike, are those Hampton tomatoes really THAT good???

I dunno, but my mother loves Hampton tomatoes. She's absolutely nuts for Hampton tomatoes!

Personally, I think Jersey tomatoes are where its at :coolsmile:

-- Mike

The odd part being, of course, there's no such thing as a Hampton tomato... and on that note, with all the vineyards around here now, there's almost no such thing as a Long Island potato anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.