Wood size for Papa Bear.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bud B

Aug 2, 2020
Maine
Hi gang, just bought a Fisher Papa Bear and was wondering what length of wood to order. I believe wood will be cut from 4’ log lengths. Usually I get 16” but with the bigger stove with the 30” firebox I was wondering if I should get 24” length ?

If you don’t mind trucking it into the house all winter, an armload of 24” splits will get you big and strong

Reactions: Bud B
Depends on your heat needs. For the longest burn, the maximum length is best. 30 inch logs for me are a bit much, but when cutting your own saves time and chain sharpening. I like 20 in a Mama made for 24 max, 24 to 26 in a Papa. Personal preference really depending on how big you are, length of fire duration and wood shelter size. If you have others loading the stove consider what is comfortable for them too. Not too many have a shelter for two rows at 60 inches deep! So I cut to fit 2 rows in my 4 foot deep shelter, no matter what I burn it in. Before I had a hydraulic splitter I tended to cut shorter too.

If you have wood now, cut a piece to add to one to make it 24, 26, or 28 and try carrying and loading like it is one piece. You'll know what length you like best.

Reactions: Bud B
Depends on your heat needs. For the longest burn, the maximum length is best. 30 inch logs for me are a bit much, but when cutting your own saves time and chain sharpening. I like 20 in a Mama made for 24 max, 24 to 26 in a Papa. Personal preference really depending on how big you are, length of fire duration and wood shelter size. If you have others loading the stove consider what is comfortable for them too. Not too many have a shelter for two rows at 60 inches deep! So I cut to fit 2 rows in my 4 foot deep shelter, no matter what I burn it in. Before I had a hydraulic splitter I tended to cut shorter too.

If you have wood now, cut a piece to add to one to make it 24, 26, or 28 and try carrying and loading like it is one piece. You'll know what length you like best.
Thanks for the idea of try a 24” or longer log. I’ll cut a couple up and try it.

Does the baffle plates people installing in the papa bear help efficiency ?
I have run dampeners in the pipe on my other wood stoves.

Yes. A correctly sized baffle for the chimney reduces the use of pipe damper since it reduces extreme heat loss up chimney. The front top will get hotter than the rear and burn off more smoke particles. Size of baffle depends on chimney size. It prevents temperature spikes, wouldn’t run one without it.

The pipe damper is a chimney control that slows velocity of rising gases. This lowers net draft, reducing air flow through stove. It is used for an over drafting chimney. So it is a chimney control that affects the stove, the intake dampers control the stove.