Wood smells like incense?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I've been burning this stuff that I scrounged two years ago from a road widening project. Odd looking tree-very twisted and fairly short-looked like it may have been some kind of fruit tree? The bark is very dark grey and is sort of pockmarked. The smell when I open the firebox reminds me of being a kid and attending mass at a very old school Italian/Irish Catholic parish-that really heavy makes-you-want-to-run-outside-and-gasp-for-air incense smell. It's nicely seasoned and burns well, just smells weird-any idea what it could be?

good question.

where do you live?

onetracker said:
good question.

where do you live?

Northeast-picked this stuff up in Central NJ.

I think some Ash trees have a spicy smell to them. I have alot of spicey smelling stuff going through the box now. I can't ID it though. Tried posting it here but no definitive answers came of it.

Ah, the fabled patchouli tree . . . seems to me I ran into more than one person in college burning this tree. ;) :)

We could perhaps narrow it down a bit with some pictures.

Gary_602z said:
Is it rolled up in Zig Zags? :lol:

Gary

And you can light it with a lava lamp........ :p

Status
Not open for further replies.