Wood sources in Albany, NY Area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfguy

Dec 13, 2010
Niskayuna, NY
Anyone from or near this area that has a reliable wood dealer. I'm just looking for Green wood that I can let dry on my property. I can't see paying $175 + for green that I am seeing on craiglist.

How much property do you have? My bet is the best price dealer is sitting some where on that lot.

Check out some of the local free papers, e.g., The Advertiser, which is local for me in Rensselaer cnty. The price seems to be going up though. Lowest is 150, but there are that many advertising. I didn't notice any log length ads.

Remmy122 said:
How much property do you have? My bet is the best price dealer is sitting some where on that lot.

I have .33 acres, no trees to cut down here except a couple box elder. I'm stuck trying to scrounge wood up from work or buying. Having a hard time doing both.

velvetfoot said:
Check out some of the local free papers, e.g., The Advertiser, which is local for me in Rensselaer cnty. The price seems to be going up though. Lowest is 150, but there are that many advertising. I didn't notice any log length ads.

I've been watching the pennysaver and craigslist. Not a ton of luck.

Is all the wood you see along the roads here in the Albany (here for work) on private property?

Trying going across the river and picking up the Advertiser, but nothing less than 150.

velvetfoot said:
Trying going across the river and picking up the Advertiser, but nothing less than 150.

Will do, thanks! Yeah the best bet in the pennysaver that we got yesterday was $150/cord. Wish I had a tree company that needed a place to dump :(

oldspark said:
Is all the wood you see along the roads here in the Albany (here for work) on private property?

Most is private. In general, public land is off limits except for a few state forests that you can get a permit for.

EatenByLimestone said:
How much are you looking for and do you want it delivered or can you pick it up?

Matt

I'd be looking to get either 3 or 4 Full Chords to sit and dry all summer on my property. I could pick it up, I have a full sixe pickup. It would just be a bunch of trips which is fine with me.

I just looked in our local pennysaver here in Schoharie county and there are several ads with green at $160 per cord. Some are quite more! I'm sure you would pay more for delivery, so I don't think $175 is that bad. It's gonna cost quite a bit for you to truck it yourself. Maybe if you got several cord you could get a discount.

Jack Straw said:
I just looked in our local pennysaver here in Schoharie county and there are several ads with green at $160 per cord. Some are quite more! I'm sure you would pay more for delivery, so I don't think $175 is that bad. It's gonna cost quite a bit for you to truck it yourself. Maybe if you got several cord you could get a discount.

Thanks for looking. I do own a 5X8 trailer that I could use. But I could find a good source for the right price I would consider picking it up with a 6x12 utility trail which I can rent from UHAUL for $29.95

There are trees down in Columbia County this morning due to ice accretion. If you're up for scrounging maybe keep an eye out for trees down from this storm.

homebrewz said:
There are trees down in Columbia County this morning due to ice accretion. If you're up for scrounging maybe keep an eye out for trees down from this storm.

Yeah as I was plowing us out from the storm I had my eye out. Nothing but small branches down in the city. Haven't ha dmuch time to check the burbs, been trying to put a sump pump in my basement. Digging this thing out is a royal pain.

Maybe post a CL ad, or talk to a local tree service? I do see the occasional scrounge opportunity on the Albany CL, but they're usually too far for me.

If you're through the concrete and just digging in the compacted soil, try renting an electric hammer (I think that's what they're called?) with a shovel attachment. Used one to get at the septic tank last winter. Went through the frozen soil like a knife through butter.. frozen, dirty butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.